Titan OTR Premature Failure

The final frontier. Deciding when, if and how.
edinga

Titan OTR Premature Failure

Postby edinga » Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:59 am

After careful consideration, I opted for a Titan OTR implant that was performed in June 2010. After my recovery from surgery the implant performed well but has always felt unnatural when deflated. It also felt as though the tubes bunched up if I fully deflated the device resulting in some mild discomfort over time. Overall, I was pleased with the Titan OTR performance and the increased girth, although I never measured to see the exact size. I experienced no apparent decrease in length.

Two weeks ago, August 21st the implant failed to inflate when pumped. After several attempts at inflation. the pump bulb failed to reinflate after compression. For several weeks prior to the failure I had noticed a slight noise from the bulb upon compression. Sorta like the fluid flowing through the valve.

I visited my Doc and he confirmed the failure. His diagnosis is a fluid leak of unknown origin. He indicated a complete revision (replacement) is indicated. He stated that Coloplast warrants the implant but not the associated medical fees not to mention the added pain and suffering. He was to contact Coloplast for guidance while I did my own research on failures and options. Thus this post to the Board. I will be contacting my Doc today and possible Coloplast directly. Needless to say, I am wondering if revision with the Titan OTR is the best alternative.

I am seeking information and advice on implant failures premature or otherwise. I appreciate any input or questions you may have regarding this topic. I will search the Board for past posts as well.

Thanks in advance,

ED
In Georgia

Genome

Re: Titan OTR Premature Failure

Postby Genome » Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:10 am

Oh man...I am so sorry this has happened to you, My Doctor....Milam....indicated that a revision is simpler and recovery is quicker because the body has already adapted to the presence of the devices. Keep us informed. I have a Titan, too.

Jerry

edinga

Postby edinga » Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:43 pm

Latest update:

Spoke to Coloplast Rep a few minutes ago. The warranty policy is limited to providing the Titan OTR device only which goes for @ $9,000.00. They offer nothing regarding associated revision medical costs. The surgeon must work through their Coloplast Rep to obtain approvals and material. The Rep indicated that premature failure is unheard of outside of people who place excessive strain on the pump, such as distance bicycle riders. I don't fit that category unless riding a golf cart counts. He stated that most failures are with the pump itself and usually start as a small crack in the bulb that eventually fails. I never had any awareness of fluid leaking into the scrotum.

I am awaiting a return call from my Doc.

KMeister

Postby KMeister » Sat Sep 03, 2011 1:27 am

Edinga, I'm very sorry to hear about the equipment failure. If you spoke to "Travis" over at Coloplast and he told you that premature failure with the OTR is unheard of, he's not telling you the truth. My urologist implanted me with a Coloplast Titan, but not the OTR because he had two prior patients whose OTRs simply stopped inflating. My doctor informed me that he consulted with another doctor--a prominent uro in Miami--who also reported similar problems with the OTR. Coloplast knows about these problems.

As far as your other cost associated with re-implantation: Are you paying out of your pocket or do you have a third party payer who will cover the cost? If you do end of paying out of pocket you CAN negotiate the fees. Many doctors and operating facilities will accept pretty close to the insurance company's group rate.

Best wishes to you, mate.

KMeister

edinga

Postby edinga » Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:32 am

I did speak with Travis at Coloplast. I also spoke to the Coloplast Rep for my area. They both had the same story. That is that premature failures are almost unheard of. They are thinking the failure is likely in the pump but can't be sure until it is in their hands. So a partial/complete Revision is prescribed. I will be scheduling this for October as I cannot go on like this.

Coloplast accepts no responsibility for the issues of cost, the associated risk, as well as added pain & suffering from a second surgery.

It is good to know that others have also had premature failures with the Titan OTR. I would appreciate hearing from anyone who has had this experience or knows anyone who had such a failure. Coloplast has not been quick to provide and failure statistics but sites there warranty as proof of the quality of their product. I asked if I could have done something to cause the failure and was told it would be unlikely.

Thanks in advance for any additional information on Titan OTR failures.

Ed In Georgia

edinga

Postby edinga » Sat Oct 29, 2011 3:12 pm

Underwent Revision surgery for failed Titan OTR on Tuesday, Oct 25th. The surgery discovered a failed connection to the pump in the scrotum. The pump was replaced and I was out of the hospital by noon. Just some stitches and never needed any pain meds after leaving the hospital. Hate the antibiotics as they tear up my stomach. I go back to the doctor this week for the follow-up. I am interested to learn what may have caused the failure after only a year. I am not an athlete and golf should not have strained the connections.

I will be waiting to see how the insurance and Medicare handle this.

At any rate, I am thankful for not having to undergo the full revision.

Ed in Georgia

LGX_Man

Postby LGX_Man » Sat Oct 29, 2011 5:29 pm

Phew! Congrats to you lucky man!
62. Retired. AMS 700 LGX implanted Nov. 18, 2013. Ask me any questions about being implanted or life afterwards.

hard drive

Postby hard drive » Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:56 pm

It sounds to me like a manufacturing defect (weak joint). The pumps come with the tubes already attached and they are cut to the needed length by the doctor during installation. They are connected to the cylinders by the doctor during the implant procedure. Since it came lose at the pump, it is Coloplast's fault that you are having a second procedure. I would negotiate with them to help with associated costs. If they won't talk about it, maybe you should get legal advice.

Just my $0.02 worth. Man... I sure hope mine doesn't do that, I'm on my second pump already too but it's was not a failure, it was because the original surgeon put my pump in the wrong place and with VERY short tubes.

Let us all know what you find out and/or decide to do.
harddrive

hard drive

Postby hard drive » Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:46 pm

Just an added note to this thread. My Titan faild this past Saturday. A tube sprung a leak and filled my scrotum instead of the cylinders. I went to my urologist today and a new implant procedure (full replacement) will be performed in March. Starting over again...
harddrive

Arkansas

Postby Arkansas » Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:22 pm

Hopping for a much better result for you Hard Drive! Thanks for all the data in reference your issues.
Arkansas, 45, Type One Diabetes, AMS700 Nov 2011. Activated Dec 29th 2011.

Return to “Implants”