Inflation bulb

The final frontier. Deciding when, if and how.
seamus

Inflation bulb

Postby seamus » Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:21 pm

I'm two wks today post coloplast infrapubic implant and doing fairly well: most pain and swelling subsided, can do virtually anything physically, went swimming 45 min today and for several days beforehand. Activation is another month down the line. Dr. says to pull down the bulb which seems to be nestled in upper region of scrotum. Problem is, the thing doesn't seem to want to move. Does anyone have experience with this? Does it mean anything at this point?
Seamus (San Diego)

lunacynic

Re: Inflation bulb

Postby lunacynic » Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:57 am

i had an ifrapubic procedure from dr bryan kansas and i'm having the same problem. i'm five weeks post-op and my pump hangs horizontally with the top of the bulb sticking out in front just under my penis. my left testicle hangs normally but the right one is stacked above the pump. kansas also told me to pull it down but that isn't having any effect. he offered to go infrapubic again, drag everything out, and reposition it, but i'm not going thru that again, so i'm looking for another doc to fix it.
65 - ams 700 lgx 5.5cm rte with 18cm cylinders installed infrapubic aug 23 2016 by bryan kansas austin texas

seamus

Postby seamus » Tue Sep 27, 2016 1:05 pm

why the need to "drag everything out and reposition it " if only the bulb is out of place? I have read somewhere that over time the bulb will find the right spot but if you've been trying for five weeks without results, I'm not so sure anymore. My surgeon mentioned that in a worst case scenario, he would do a small incision in scrotum and reposition from there. I'm not sure what to do at this point but at least I have some time to try to manually pull it down. Do you have any other options?

lunacynic

Postby lunacynic » Tue Sep 27, 2016 2:31 pm

sorry, imprudent use of the word "everything". the cylinders would remain in place. what he wants to do is make another incision -above- my penis, reach down -below- my penis, pull the pump and tubes up past all the other hardware and completely outside my body, then stick them back down again inside my scrotum and reposition them from the opposite side of everything else.

no thanks, i just had one of those and i didn't care for it. at least your guy has the good sense to go directly to the problem if he needs to. i'm not even going to ask kansas if he'll consider doing it that way since i don't think he has any experience with scrotal incisions, and at this point i have little confidence in his skills anyway.

otoh, fladon had the same issue and over time it resolved itself. but i'm not comfortable "pulling" on anything, there are other structures like deferens and blood vessels in there and i don't want to rupture anything. i'd at least like to get an opinion from another doc who does scrotal incisions but i can't afford to fly all over the country and the guys within driving distance are all booked out two months. i was supposed to move on the 1st but i've had to cancel truck, hotel, and other reservations until i get this sorted out. grrrrrr ...
65 - ams 700 lgx 5.5cm rte with 18cm cylinders installed infrapubic aug 23 2016 by bryan kansas austin texas

seamus

Postby seamus » Tue Sep 27, 2016 2:53 pm

thanks for your input...from my vantage point---I would advise to extend more time to let your problem resolve itself, if possible, like the two other guys...you have enough on your plate at this time...if I get any more insight I will certainly pass it along...good luck

Lost Sheep

Postby Lost Sheep » Tue Sep 27, 2016 7:19 pm

I am speculating here, so take all I say with a grain of salt, but I feel comfortable weighing in because I know a little about healing processes (just enough to be dangerous, perhaps).

From my reading/research, it seems to me that one of three things may have happened or be happening.   

1) the tubing, pump and valve have gotten twisted up - possibly tangled with your own plumbing.  Fairly rare, this.  Untangling is a matter of time and manipulation unless scar tissue adhesions make that problematic.   If the tangling is knotted, there is a surgical problem to be resolved.

2) Adhesions may be drawing the pump up.  

In either case, the earlier you break up or prevent scar tissue formation, the better and gentle, consistent repositioning is indicated.

3)  Simple swelling may be keeping the pump out of its eventual resting place.  Time is your friend, here.  A physical exam by someone experienced with such exams would be reassuring.

Good luck

Lost Sheep
Lost Sheep
AMS LGX 18+3 Nov 6, 2017
Prostate Cancer 2023
READ OLD THREADS-ask better questions -better understand answers
Be part of your medical team
Document pre-op size-photos and written records
Pre-op VED therapy helps. Post-op is another matter

ED2013

Postby ED2013 » Thu Sep 29, 2016 6:20 pm

Try pulling down on it while in a warm bath. Is the scrotum stuck to the pump? If so, try to gently peel the skin away from the bulb.

seamus

Postby seamus » Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:48 pm

warm bath idea sounds like good idea...bulb not stuck to scrotum, but it is not detached or floating around, sort of stuck in one place in upper scrotum.

Anonymous 3

Postby Anonymous 3 » Fri Sep 30, 2016 11:56 am

Be a little cautious about the warm bath. You are only 2 weeks out from surgery which may not be enough time for proper healing of your incision. Warm water is the PERFECT breeding environment for bacteria which could enter any small unhealed portion of your wound and cause no end of problems. I realize you had infrapubic surgery but .... Check with your doc first before soaking in warm water.

seamus

Postby seamus » Fri Sep 30, 2016 7:30 pm

thanks for heads up on warm bath caution...written hospital patient instructions say "no swimming or jacuzzi for two wks," which I read for the first time just the other day, and I remember doc saying no hot tub, but forgot time of prohibition. I've actually been swimming starting one week post with doc's approval, and it will be 3 wks post next Monday (Oct 3), but I'm still in the throes of recovery. I think the infrapubic incision has almost completely healed, but remainder of genital area not so. Scrotum areas still bruised, inflamed, and somewhat swollen.
The warm bath remedy is not new to me. I believe I read about it in new book (first of its kind), which I lent to my surgeon, written by an implant patient who is a contributor to these pages. Last name is Redner. Title is something like "Everything you don't want to hear about erectile dysfunction and penile implants." (Amazon) The author talks about getting into hot tub to find the inflate bulb, not exactly my problem.
Anyway, I have to be patient about the healing process.
Thanks again...

Return to “Implants”