Pump problem

The final frontier. Deciding when, if and how.
Charlie999

Pump problem

Postby Charlie999 » Thu Aug 25, 2016 10:29 am

For the past month, my pump goes flat on the 12th compression (I use both hands), which, of course, means pump malfunction, leak, not enough fluid in tank and/or other problems. It is staying consistent with the 12th compression which puzzles me. I was implanted in June of 2014 with a Titan, by Dr. Paul Perito. My surgical notes reveal that 60 ml was installed in the tank @ surgery. Seems to be a small amount, from what I have researched. I wrote a letter to Dr. Perito, and after not receiving a response for 2 weeks, decided to call. Upon calling, I. Was advised to return to their Office for an exam. I can't do that at the present time because I am in the middle of EECP cardiac treatment, which will end on October 30. So, was advised to do exam with local uro, and transmit results. I am approx 1 hour away from Tampa, where Dr. R. Carrion is located, and have heard many glowing things about his practice. Am considering an appointment with him. Of course, I am very much concerned about this development, and my enthusiasm for so called "top docs" has been diminished. Also, I would not, absolutely not, endure another procedure at coral gables hospital. No way. Any advice and/comments truly welcome. I am concerned.

BLESSINGS,

Charlie
85 married 36 yrs. implanted by Dr. Paul Perito June 14. Complete revision by Dr. Ralphael Carrion May 17 because of leaking Coloplast.

psyched123

Re: Pump problem

Postby psyched123 » Fri Aug 26, 2016 11:21 am

There is a thread with a good discussion of pump issues that I participated in:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6355

You might find some good info reading through it.

I found that my pump going flat wasn't from a leak, but was from a botched implant installation. My "high volume" surgeon only installed 20ml of fluid in the 100ml reservoir. I was his third implant that day and I guess he was getting tired. He is at a teaching hospital and I'm sure passed the knife to one of the trainees in the room.

If yours has been working for two years but now goes flat, it is either a leak or a kink in the lines that won't let the needed fluid pass. In my case, I had a new 65ml reservoir put in and it all now works perfectly.

Yes, definitely get a new doc! You want someone who is quickly responsive and follows up on you without asking. You should never have to pester a doctor to get their attention.
Implanted AMS CX 700 11/15 by Dr. Morey in Dallas (botched). 6/16 - Surgery by Dr. Kansas in Austin to correct the mistakes. Works great now. Very pleased!

Charlie999

Re: Pump problem

Postby Charlie999 » Fri Aug 26, 2016 5:43 pm

Thanks P. Appreciate the info. I have an appt with Dr. Carrion (Tampa) in Oct. Will report back here with results, in hopes of helping someone else. I dont look forward to doing this all over again, but perhaps will have to do it. Good for you that you have yours resolved.

Blessings,

Charlie
85 married 36 yrs. implanted by Dr. Paul Perito June 14. Complete revision by Dr. Ralphael Carrion May 17 because of leaking Coloplast.

Return to “Implants”