Coloplast vs AMS

The final frontier. Deciding when, if and how.
javon99

Coloplast vs AMS

Postby javon99 » Sat May 14, 2016 7:14 pm

I am researching inflatable penile implants, as I am still in nowhere land at almost 22 months post DaVinci prostatectomy.

It seems that most surgeons have a preference for one or the other brand of inflatable implants, so while researching which surgeon I should use, it seems that I am also forced into one or the other implant. Browsing the forums, I hear things like "Coloplast gets more rigid", or "the Coloplast pump is difficult to use at first until it loosens up".

What are your opinions on the Coloplast Titan Touch vs. the AMS products? Does it make much of a difference as to which one is used, from the user's standpoint?
73, total ED since 7/2014 after DaVinci prostatectomy. Tried all ED options. Even "super trimix" injections failed.
9/15/2016 Implant with AMS CX 21cm w/ 3 cm RTE's, infrapubic.
Disappointed with downward pointing erection.

dg_moore

Re: Coloplast vs AMS

Postby dg_moore » Sat May 14, 2016 8:38 pm

It's hard to compare AMS and Coloplast from the patient's perspective, because very few implantees have experienced both of them. In general, it seems to be true that Coloplast can be more rigid, and AMS can have a more natural flaccid state, but everybody's anatomy is different and everybody experiences the implant from his own perspective. I think this is largely a "Ford vs.Chevy" thing, and you'll likely be quite satisfied with whatever choice you make. To my knowledge, most of the top surgeons implant both AMS and Coloplast and recommend whichever they judge to be best in each case. Personally I don't think I'd want to deal with a surgeon who works with only one brand. This is just my $.02, so let's see what others think.
Dave, 80, Maryland - Implant (Titan) 2008 by Dr. Andrew Kramer (failed Sept 2020) - never used due to a stroke that, among other things, ended my sex life.
Life is not the way it's supposed to be, it's the way it is.

RelievedofED1

Postby RelievedofED1 » Sat May 14, 2016 9:54 pm

dg_moore wrote:It's hard to compare AMS and Coloplast from the patient's perspective, because very few implantees have experienced both of them. In general, it seems to be true that Coloplast can be more rigid, and AMS can have a more natural flaccid state, but everybody's anatomy is different and everybody experiences the implant from his own perspective. I think this is largely a "Ford vs.Chevy" thing, and you'll likely be quite satisfied with whatever choice you make. To my knowledge, most of the top surgeons implant both AMS and Coloplast and recommend whichever they judge to be best in each case. Personally I don't think I'd want to deal with a surgeon who works with only one brand. This is just my $.02, so let's see what others think.

I agree it really is a Ford or Chevy question and will no doubt generate strong feelings from both camps. Most of us can only give you an opinion on how ours works. I have an AMS CX and love it. Dr Kramer does a video discussing both. I think the right surgeon is more important than AMS vs Titan by a long shot. Glad I went with one of the greats!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8PPId-OVzag
66 year old with ED intermittently for years and consistently for the 2 years before implant. Tried everything. AMS CX 21cm+1 cm RTEs Dr Kramer 4/29/2015.
Revision 5/3/2021 AMS CX 700 21cm+2 cm RTEs.
Revision 2022 Titan XL 24 cm no RTEs.

palace01

Postby palace01 » Sun May 15, 2016 3:03 am

Note that I did not use Dr.Eid, nor met or talked to him, so cannot give personal opinion on him, but in an email exchange with him about my own AMS 700 CX - 18+4 RTEs his answer included...

" you have a huge amount of rear tip extenders and these are only 9mm in diameter so they do not provide any rigidity. Of the 18cm only 13.5cm inflates the rear, of the cylinder is solid, measures 4.5cm does not inflate and the diameter is also only 9mm. So in summary if you add 4cm to 4.5cm you get 8.5cm which indicates that close to 40% of your cylinders are non inflatable. You would have been better served with a 22cm Coloplast which is also much wider than the 18CX and would have avoided the need for rear tip extenders. The erection would have also pointed up when inflated. "

He also said
" AMS implants are thinner than the Coloplast cylinders and this device is better suited for the older frail patient. Coloplast cylinders provide the penis with a rounder more youthful appearance. The Coloplast pump is also smaller, easier to conceal and easier to manipulate so the cylinders can be inflated to higher pressure, which again is better for the younger patient."

Just $0.04 worth from Dr Eid !
Age 73
Apr-15-14. RP-Pills, Injections No help. VED(almost old size in tube).
Feb-12-16, Dr Cornell, AMS-CX "18+4" LOTS PROBLEMS!
Jul-6-16 Dr Khera ColoPlast "20+1" Very Unhappy with very short length/width but Dr insists correct

javon99

Postby javon99 » Sun May 15, 2016 7:41 pm

Thanks for the quick responses! The video link is very helpful.

I know selecting the right surgeon is critical. I have been looking locally (Denver), and have also started looking elsewhere, especially Dr. Eid. His website is a goldmine of information. There is no one in Denver that has anywhere near the experience of Dr. Eid, or a few others mentioned on this site. However, travel across the country and back for this kind of surgery fills me with apprehension.

Flying these days is not pleasant, and I can't imagine doing it right after surgery! Also, my situation is not ideal for travel. My wife is a stroke survivor, and I am her sole caregiver. I would probably have to find some way to have her taken care of for several days if I travel alone, and would have to deal with the surgery alone. The other option is to take her with me, but she would not be able to take care of me after the surgery, so that would not be a very good option either. Given those 2 poor options, I am tempted to do the surgery locally. However, the 2 best choices in Denver (Dr. May and Dr. Sobel) don't have nearly as much experience as the top choices in the U.S. and they only offer one type of implant (one is AMS and the other uses Coloplast). I like the idea that Dr. Eid will select the best option for me at the time of surgery.

It is about time to make some decisions....
73, total ED since 7/2014 after DaVinci prostatectomy. Tried all ED options. Even "super trimix" injections failed.
9/15/2016 Implant with AMS CX 21cm w/ 3 cm RTE's, infrapubic.
Disappointed with downward pointing erection.

woodturner

Postby woodturner » Sun May 15, 2016 8:28 pm

The surgeon I went to does both AMS and Coloplast. He left the choice to me, but he recommended the Coloplast Titan because of size and the a slight amount of peyronies.
The one thing I would not compromise on is the surgeon. The surgeon that did mine told me that 10% of the Urologists do 90% of the implants.
I can't believe they don't have some high volume surgeons in California. You may want to take a look for somebody in Las Vegas.
My surgeon is not as well known as a lot of the others mentioned on this site. However, he does in excess of 120 implants a year. That was good enough for me.
Total ED since a 6/2010 RPA. Pills and injections didn't work. 2nd revision with a Coloplast Titan (24CM w & 2CM RTEs)on 12/15/2022. 68 years old

KMeister

Postby KMeister » Mon May 16, 2016 3:10 am

woodturner wrote:The surgeon I went to does both AMS and Coloplast. He left the choice to me, but he recommended the Coloplast Titan because of size and the a slight amount of peyronies.
The one thing I would not compromise on is the surgeon. The surgeon that did mine told me that 10% of the Urologists do 90% of the implants.
I can't believe they don't have some high volume surgeons in California. You may want to take a look for somebody in Las Vegas.
My surgeon is not as well known as a lot of the others mentioned on this site. However, he does in excess of 120 implants a year. That was good enough for me.

It's a good thing you can't believe they don't have some high volume surgeons in California because they do. The Center for Reconstructive Urology is in California. Also, Dr. Edward Karpman is reputed to be one of the best as well. I'm sure there are others in California. It's a huge state.

KMeister

PFracture

Postby PFracture » Mon May 16, 2016 3:51 am

This thread has excellent information. I assumed each doctor had it's brand of preference and that was it. Like, Kramer would only do AMS and EID Coloplast.

Like it was said here so many times, this is something you want the best chances to get done right at first time, so wouldn't it be better to go through the hassle of traveling eventually having it paying off later? Because you can read here what happens if it goes bad, and it's not pretty, and given your situation is sort of touchy it would be hell later....

merrix

Postby merrix » Mon May 16, 2016 5:08 am

PFracture wrote:This thread has excellent information. I assumed each doctor had it's brand of preference and that was it. Like, Kramer would only do AMS and EID Coloplast.

Like it was said here so many times, this is something you want the best chances to get done right at first time, so wouldn't it be better to go through the hassle of traveling eventually having it paying off later? Because you can read here what happens if it goes bad, and it's not pretty, and given your situation is sort of touchy it would be hell later....

I think you are right. Each doctor has its brand of preference. I think the romantic idea of the doc examining all his patients with open, objective eyes and then choosing the implant which is best for each patient's anatomy etc is bullshit to be honest.
They have their idea on which is best, and they have their financial incentives to stick with their preferred brands.
Why do you guys think Kramer used to do almost only Titans, and then all of a sudden switched to almost only AMS?
Because by some weird coincidence 90% of his patients used to have an anatomy best suited to AMS, but by the same weird coincidence now 90% of his patients have anatomies better suited to AMS?
Of course not. Everybody understands that random variation doesn't work that way. There are other reasons.

So don't over estimate this 'choose the best fit to your anatomy' idea. Eid will generally put in a Titan unless his patient demands an AMS. Kramer will put in an AMS unless the patient demands a Titan. Perito won't even touch an AMS I think. No matter what. In the case of these high-volume guys, I don't think they lack the skills to do both. They just have strong incentives to stick with one brand. Either financial and/or strong conviction on which is best.
In the case of low-volume guys, they may either stick with one brand because that's all they do and lack the experience of the other brand. Or they actually do choose what they think is best for the patient because they have no financial incentive since the Implant manufacturers don't bother to financially support the docs who do 2-3 per year. On the other hand, if I can choose between a surgeon who makes a completely objective choice of implant but lack skill and experience, or a surgeon with experience and expertise but who always uses one brand, the choice falls easily on the latter...

That means a patient basically has two choices if he wants to go with a high-volume surgeon (which I think we all agree is the best idea):
1 - Let the doctor choose, i.e. use his preferred brand.
2 - Make the choice yourself. But if so, I recommend going with the doctor who uses your preferred brand. Why 'force' the doc to use a brand he doesn't really want to use?
Last edited by merrix on Mon May 16, 2016 6:34 pm, edited 3 times in total.
43 yo, ED forever from VL
Fit and active
Implanted December 2015
Titan XL 24 cm, no RTEs
Dr. Eid
Activated day 13
Sex after 3 weeks
Gained length and girth
So far It works perfectly
Only one advice: Find a world class surgeon

dirtman1993

Postby dirtman1993 » Mon May 16, 2016 2:52 pm

I have an AMS/LGX and very happy, gets hard as hell, pump works well (10 to 12) fully inflated and deflate is now easy to find. About 5.5" and hope to get back to 6" with twice daily inflating as I was directed. No matter as it works as before I had no erection.

Dr. Kramer would have implanted what I wanted but after reading about the two and my size, I selected AMS. Maybe if I was 8 or more inches I would have thought more about it but I'm not so easy choice.

Good luck
Implanted March 2nd by Dr. Kramer with AMS/LGX. Had a problem lower left (scar tissue) and he placed a larger (thicker) implant as you can here on the YouTube video. Got all back, ED over 10 years before Implant.

Return to “Implants”