What's Going On?

The final frontier. Deciding when, if and how.
jimp444

What's Going On?

Postby jimp444 » Sat May 07, 2016 3:01 pm

Had implant surgery 4-25-16. Everything went very well until day 12 when scrotum became VERY swollen and turned black & blue as did base of my penis. Went to doc next morning who took a look at it but didn't say what he thought the issue was (he is not one to share much info). He prescribed antibiotics and told me to leave it alone and come back in a week. I assume I have an infection, but would appreciate it if anybody here could shed some light as to what is going on. Thanks
64 yr old living in Southeastern, PA. ED for the past 10 yrs. Bionic on April 25. Coloplast Titan OTR.

KMeister

Re: What's Going On?

Postby KMeister » Sat May 07, 2016 4:23 pm

jimp444 wrote:Had implant surgery 4-25-16. Everything went very well until day 12 when scrotum became VERY swollen and turned black & blue as did base of my penis. Went to doc next morning who took a look at it but didn't say what he thought the issue was (he is not one to share much info). He prescribed antibiotics and told me to leave it alone and come back in a week. I assume I have an infection, but would appreciate it if anybody here could shed some light as to what is going on. Thanks

I'm not a doctor but it COULD be an infection. But something is wrong when a patient has to ask others what's wrong because his own doctor "Is not one to share much info."

KMeister
Last edited by KMeister on Sun May 08, 2016 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

merrix

Postby merrix » Sat May 07, 2016 8:38 pm

KMeister wrote:
jimp444 wrote:Had implant surgery 4-25-16. Everything went very well until day 12 when scrotum became VERY swollen and turned black & blue as did base of my penis. Went to doc next morning who took a look at it but didn't say what he thought the issue was (he is not one to share much info). He prescribed antibiotics and told me to leave it alone and come back in a week. I assume I have an infection, but would appreciate it if anybody here could shed some light as to what is going on. Thanks

I'm not a doctor but it COULD be an infection. But something wrong when a patient has to ask others what's wrong because his own doctor "Is not one to share much info."

KMeister

Totally agree with KMeister.
Since he gives you antibiotics, it's logical to suspect infection.
And your doc sounds terrible, he should speak to you.
Who is he?
43 yo, ED forever from VL
Fit and active
Implanted December 2015
Titan XL 24 cm, no RTEs
Dr. Eid
Activated day 13
Sex after 3 weeks
Gained length and girth
So far It works perfectly
Only one advice: Find a world class surgeon

chedog

Postby chedog » Sat May 07, 2016 10:38 pm

Something similar happened to me. I had a Titan implanted; all seemed okay. But the swelling never went down, after 6-8 weeks, in the scrotum sac where the pump was located. They treated it as if it would turn out to be an infection, but, after many lab tests, there was none. It was just clear liquid in the sac which was the body's rejection of the pump.

So the Titan was removed and I had a revision (actually two: once to implant a semi-malleable; six months later an AMS LGX). I've now had the AMS six months and everything goes well.

For me, the good news is that it wasn't an infection; the bad news is I had to go through three surgeries and wait almost a year before I could use my implant. Hope things turn out okay for you.

jimp444

Postby jimp444 » Sun May 08, 2016 2:47 pm

Thanks for your responses. I think before I "out" the doc, I will call him and ask for more info. This seems to be a more fair minded approach than just dumping on him. I know much of the responsibility to get info lies with me and being persistent if need be. I will post once I speak with him. Again thanks.
64 yr old living in Southeastern, PA. ED for the past 10 yrs. Bionic on April 25. Coloplast Titan OTR.

KMeister

Postby KMeister » Sun May 08, 2016 7:22 pm

jimp444 wrote:Thanks for your responses. I think before I "out" the doc, I will call him and ask for more info. This seems to be a more fair minded approach than just dumping on him. I know much of the responsibility to get info lies with me and being persistent if need be. I will post once I speak with him. Again thanks.

Your prerogative. But remember, you are entitled to see--even to have a copy--of your medical records.

https://www.healthit.gov/patients-famil ... ion-rights

If you haven't already done so, I suggest getting the operational report from the facility where your surgery was done. There's always interesting information in there. It's usually a good starting point.

KMeister

psyched123

Postby psyched123 » Mon May 09, 2016 2:35 am

What is included in an Operational Report? That sounds very interesting. Would the hospital provide this Report? If so, from whom in the hospital would you need to request the Report?
Implanted AMS CX 700 11/15 by Dr. Morey in Dallas (botched). 6/16 - Surgery by Dr. Kansas in Austin to correct the mistakes. Works great now. Very pleased!

roninhouston

Postby roninhouston » Mon May 09, 2016 2:36 pm

psyched123 wrote:What is included in an Operational Report? That sounds very interesting. Would the hospital provide this Report? If so, from whom in the hospital would you need to request the Report?

The Operational Report describes in details, in medical terms, what happened during the operation.

If you watched any of the IPP opeations on YouTube this is the report of what was done during the operation.

This is an example.....
http://medical-transcription-sample-rep ... enile.html

Mine was titled "Operative Report" and given to me at my first post-op visit. Have had three other operations and have never received a report. This one list what equipment was inserted with model numbers:

AMS pre-connected, Inhibixone-coated, CX700-MS pump, 18 cm + 5 cm RTE bilaterally, left praravesical ectopic prefascial Inhibizone-coated.

How much blood was lost during the operation, what type of catheter, who assisted, what anesthesia was used and the IPP was filled with 65cc. It is very detailed, mine is three pages, and tells when he changed gloves. :D

Another report given to me list all the meds I was given after the operation and nurses who gave it to me. I was in the hospital overnight and the doctor removed my catheter, examine me and released me.
Bionic with AMS CX on August 14, 2015. Inflated September 15th by Dr. Robert Cornell.
Was 69 with VL
. Pre-Op VED Protocol Therapy and Post-Op VED Protocol Therapy: Pre-Op length by 6th month.

KMeister

Postby KMeister » Mon May 09, 2016 3:48 pm

psyched123 wrote:What is included in an Operational Report? That sounds very interesting. Would the hospital provide this Report? If so, from whom in the hospital would you need to request the Report?

Roninhouston's reply was quite thorough. I would only add you can get your op report by contacting the facility where you operation was performed and requesting it. I recommend keeping a log, recording whomever you spoke to when requested the report. That way you have a specific person with whom you can follow up.

KMeister

jimp444

Postby jimp444 » Fri May 13, 2016 1:49 pm

I spoke to the doctor who called me back promptly and apparently I was one of the lucky 1% to get an internal infection. A week on antibiotics and lots of ice and the doctor indicates all looks good with further reduction in the swelling expected.

I did follow up on KMeister & Roninhouston's suggestion to get an Operational Report from the hospital and await a copy of the report. Thanks for that great suggestion!

Return to “Implants”