Happy with implant? Who is your surgeon?

The final frontier. Deciding when, if and how.
JimmyV

Happy with implant? Who is your surgeon?

Postby JimmyV » Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:50 pm

I am about to schedule Dr. Cornell in Houston for an implant. I also live in Houston, Texas. He's gotten a lot of great reviews. I feel good about deciding on Dr. Cornell. I've met with him once and I have a follow up today. With that said, I know there are many great implant surgeons out there, such as (Eid, Kramer, Perito, etc.) who have legions of patients who swear by their surgery. I'd love it if you would please share your surgeon's information, especially if you are very happy with the outcome. Thank you so much!
Last edited by JimmyV on Tue Apr 12, 2016 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LMCatman

Re: Happy with implant? Who is your surgeon?

Postby LMCatman » Mon Apr 11, 2016 11:52 pm

Love my implant..... Dr Paul Perito, Miami......
73 Years old. RP Oct 2010, No erections after, Botched Titan implant April, 2013, Successful Titan revision, April , 2014 by Dr. Paul Perito, Miami. Titan failure Feb 2017. Rev. by Dr Perito March 1st, 2017. Titan failure Nov 2020. New Titan January 2021

ED2013

Postby ED2013 » Tue Apr 12, 2016 1:23 am

Dr Karpman Mountain View, California

OttoHS

Postby OttoHS » Tue Apr 12, 2016 5:39 am

Dr Andrew Kramer. Very happy with both the implant and the doctor-patient relationship. I can understand one's desire to find a surgeon who is located nearby. But, I would highly recommend emailing or talking to Dr Kramer. He is incredibly accessible and responsive.

merrix

Postby merrix » Tue Apr 12, 2016 6:01 am

And I would say that if you read all posts from the last few months here, there is a standout choice.
Dr. Eid and a Titan.

Kramer is a very good choice as well of course, and nowadays he has switched his preference to AMS.
But after all, there are a couple of posts here lately which tips the favor to Eid/Titan vs Kramer/AMS.

Now I know now that there will be a storm of happy Kramer patients. And there are plenty of them, so he is probably super good as well.
But I still say the evidence from the last few months of posts here support my statement.

It could be a coincidence, but right now we have more issues on the forum with AMS than with Titan, and none with Eid but with Kramer.
Coincidence or not, I would not go against it.
Judging surgeons and brands by their failures is better than by their successes in my opinion.

Btw, another good choice seems to be Cornell in Houston.

And as for the 'easy choice' of going local - forget it. Pick the one you think is best, not the one which will save you a flight. It's your dick we're talking about here. Not fixing a dead toe nail.
43 yo, ED forever from VL
Fit and active
Implanted December 2015
Titan XL 24 cm, no RTEs
Dr. Eid
Activated day 13
Sex after 3 weeks
Gained length and girth
So far It works perfectly
Only one advice: Find a world class surgeon

OttoHS

Postby OttoHS » Tue Apr 12, 2016 6:49 am

merrix wrote:And I would say that if you read all posts from the last few months here, there is a standout choice.
Dr. Eid and a Titan.

Kramer is a very good choice as well of course, and nowadays he has switched his preference to AMS.
But after all, there are a couple of posts here lately which tips the favor to Eid/Titan vs Kramer/AMS.

Now I know now that there will be a storm of happy Kramer patients. And there are plenty of them, so he is probably super good as well.
But I still say the evidence from the last few months of posts here support my statement.

It could be a coincidence, but right now we have more issues on the forum with AMS than with Titan, and none with Eid but with Kramer.
Coincidence or not, I would not go against it.
Judging surgeons and brands by their failures is better than by their successes in my opinion.

Btw, another good choice seems to be Cornell in Houston.

And as for the 'easy choice' of going local - forget it. Pick the one you think is best, not the one which will save you a flight. It's your dick we're talking about here. Not fixing a dead toe nail.

I disagree with your statement that there have been more issues with the AMS versus the Titan. There have been a few specific complaints about AMS implants, but most of us who have AMS implants are happy with them. With the exception of the few AMS complainers, I think that all of us with AMS implants have had much faster recoveries from surgery and less issues with ongoing discomfort. Both implant brands have their plusses and minuses. But, it is in no way a one-way street in favor of the Titan.

Insofar as Kramer v. Eid is concerned, one advantage of Kramer's approach -- minimal time in surgery -- is that he has a near perfect record of no infections. Eid takes a lot longer with his surgeries and I have read some reports of his having infections. As I wrote in another post, the arguments about Kramer vs. Eid are lot like the arguments about Coke vs. Pepsi and other great products where the two leaders both are very good. So, I probably am not going to convince you and you are not going to convince me. But, if a potential patient is considering traveling for surgery, I strongly would recommend that he get in touch with Dr. Kramer. And, if he wants more than one opinion, he should talk to other high volume surgeons like Dr. Eid, too.

One thing about which we agree is that this is not a situation where going local is the best decision. This is very specialized surgery and you want it done right. The University of Maryland Medical Center, where Dr. Kramer operates is within minutes of BWI airport and there are many good hotel options within walking distance of the medical center.

David_R

Postby David_R » Tue Apr 12, 2016 8:04 am

merrix wrote:One thing about which we agree is that this is not a situation where going local is the best decision.

I would say that "this is not a situation where automatically going local is the best decision."

I carefully chose my prosthetic urologist*, talked to a happily-implanted patient, checked out his reputation in the field, and have always been glad I chose him. Oh, and by the way, I live in the Baltimore area and am within easy driving distance of the hospital where Dr. Kramer is. I'm not criticizing him (or Dr. Eid); I'm just saying that "automatically" is a no but "carefully and thoroughly checked out" could be a yes, IMHO.

* Dr. Marc Siegelbaum, Chesapeake Urology and Chief of Urology and Medical Director of the Urologic Oncology Center at the Univeristy of Maryland St. Joseph Mecical Center
Last edited by David_R on Thu Apr 14, 2016 1:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

JDavid

Postby JDavid » Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:27 am

Dr. Karpman in Mountain View, CA. AMS 700 LGX. He probably does the most implants on the West Coast and does quite a few revisions. He counts among his patients quite a few physicians and surgeons. Check the posts of Frank Talk Member Hebrew Hammer.
I am sixty-six years of age and dealing with gradually worsening ED for twenty years. At sixty-three I wanted something that worked reliably. I got an AMS 700 LGX implant in 6/25/13. I am entirely pleased with the outcome. My surgeon was Dr. Karpman.

cincinnatus1951

Postby cincinnatus1951 » Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:00 am

Jimmy:
I was implanted in Houston on January 6 by Dr. Mohit Khera of Baylor College of Medicine, Scott Urology Group. He doesn't get much press, but I found him to be extremely capable, very understanding and responsive. Look at my journey. I don't think it could have come out any better. my wife and i are very pleased with the result. If you live in Houston, he is well worth a visit.
Cincinnatus
Age 79, Wife 77 Married 52yrs RPP Dr Brian Miles, Houston Methodist, July 2013. Used VED, pills, MUSE, and trimix with no or mixed results. 18cm Titan, one RTE by Dr Mohit Khera, Baylor, Houston, Jan 2016

merrix

Postby merrix » Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:38 am

OttoHS wrote:I disagree with your statement that there have been more issues with the AMS versus the Titan. There have been a few specific complaints about AMS implants, but most of us who have AMS implants are happy with them. With the exception of the few AMS complainers, I think that all of us with AMS implants have had much faster recoveries from surgery.

Well you disagree with a statement I never did.
I didn't say there have been more issues with AMS versus Titan. I said that when reading on FT last few months, there are more reports of issues with AMS than Titan.
I also said that based on the same population (FT posts last few months), there are issues with Kramer. None with Eid.
Does that mean it's sure Eid/Titan is better than Kramer/AMS?
No.
It means that the last few months people on FT have reported more issues with Kramer than Eid and with AMS than Titan.
And that's not much to disagree about, that's just facts.

Infection statistics are posted officially by both of them. They are extremely low for both of them.
One thing to remember is that some surgeons accept, and get, more infectious-prone cases than others. E.g. one FT member with HIV who was turned down by some surgeons, but accepted by in his case Eid.
I'm sure Kramer accepts tough cases as well, and when we are discussing a couple of infections per year, these cases can make the difference. If one of them would turn down parients with immune diseases, diabetes etc, and hence improve his infection statistics, would that make him a better surgeon? No. Do these cases say much about the chances of a healthy 'easy case' patient getting an infection? No.
43 yo, ED forever from VL
Fit and active
Implanted December 2015
Titan XL 24 cm, no RTEs
Dr. Eid
Activated day 13
Sex after 3 weeks
Gained length and girth
So far It works perfectly
Only one advice: Find a world class surgeon

Return to “Implants”