Anesthesia for implant surgery

The final frontier. Deciding when, if and how.
TerryH

Anesthesia for implant surgery

Postby TerryH » Fri Apr 01, 2016 2:53 pm

I'm inclined toward spinal anedthesia. Like feedback if you've used anything other than general.
Has anyone had only local?
Last edited by TerryH on Fri Apr 01, 2016 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

moetheman

Re: Anesthesia for implanted

Postby moetheman » Fri Apr 01, 2016 3:00 pm

I've had general and spinal. As I had a lengthy procedure with the spinal, I couldn't walk properly for a couple of days due to muscle weakness in the legs. I believe the benefit of spinal is that it relaxes the muscles more than general so it can help with length as the flaccid will stretch in a completely relaxed state. That's what I've been told anyway but haven't really verified this myself. I did manage to receive an additional 3cm of cylinder length in my revision though so spinal probably was the right choice for me.

It terms of how it felt going under anaesthesia, both were similar. I don't remember anything about being injected in the spine as they still knock you out for a spinal too, so you're not really awake.
Developed ED at 32.
11/20/15 implanted with a botched Titan Coloplast 18cm + 3cm by urologynow.co.uk
03/23/16 Revision by Dr Eid - implanted a Titan Coloplast 24cm
04/08/16 Started cycling the implant

alibaba

Re: Anesthesia for implanted

Postby alibaba » Fri Apr 01, 2016 5:45 pm

I wanted spinal for the same reasons moetheman stated. Anesthesiologist said fine but doctor's written orders were for general so could not change them. When you read the success rates of Eid and he prefers spinal claiming better implantation, he may be on to something. It may take longer to pee or walk but you are not getting an implant to satisfy your leg or your bladder. If the hospital insists you be discharged in 23 hours like they did me, check with your insurance. I should have. Insurance said 3 days before they had to be called. General allows a fast discharge in case walking or peeing is slow like can be with spinal. Best of luck to you either way.
LGX 21cm .Milam 01/13/16. Horror; both service and surgical outcome. hated infrapubic installation. Kramer revision 03/01/17. 22cm Titan +1.5cm extender. Those who think their opinion is the only one that matters are a danger to themselves and others.

dirtman1993

Re: Anesthesia for implant surgery

Postby dirtman1993 » Sun Apr 03, 2016 3:17 pm

As I have a fear of needles they used a Gas to put me under and then inserted the Catheter (bladder) and one for the IV. It was great and I would recommend for anyone. Two deep breaths and I was gone. Walked to the ride back to the hotel and had ZERO after effects. No problem walking as with spinal someone did here due to length of their surgery.

I will stay with Gas than IV for my knee surgery coming in May. Goodluck and be sure to meet the doctor who is putting you out and discuss what you would like. They work for you, you do not work for them.
Implanted March 2nd by Dr. Kramer with AMS/LGX. Had a problem lower left (scar tissue) and he placed a larger (thicker) implant as you can here on the YouTube video. Got all back, ED over 10 years before Implant.

moetheman

Postby moetheman » Sun Apr 03, 2016 7:11 pm

Yes I had trouble with walking for two days after spinal but I'd take that any day (or rather two :lol:) to regain some extra size back. It worked out really well so no complaints whatsoever.
Developed ED at 32.
11/20/15 implanted with a botched Titan Coloplast 18cm + 3cm by urologynow.co.uk
03/23/16 Revision by Dr Eid - implanted a Titan Coloplast 24cm
04/08/16 Started cycling the implant

alibaba

Postby alibaba » Sun Apr 03, 2016 10:16 pm

I've had a couple real nice anesthesiologists over the years that I would get to visit with. One told me that the less gas they use the less chance you will have nausea. I suggested anti nausea med ondansetron to the VERY NICE anesthesiologist in January in Nashville. She said " You won't need any because I will not be using gas". Just my 2 cents worth. Spinal is in your back so you never see the needle business.
LGX 21cm .Milam 01/13/16. Horror; both service and surgical outcome. hated infrapubic installation. Kramer revision 03/01/17. 22cm Titan +1.5cm extender. Those who think their opinion is the only one that matters are a danger to themselves and others.

dirtman1993

Postby dirtman1993 » Sun May 01, 2016 3:54 pm

Used gas and had no reaction. Have heard about some vomiting (projectile) after waking. Maybe I was just lucky or maybe type of gas used as they offered me two different type. One had gas they use at a dentist which I have trouble with and the other did not. Worked fine.
Implanted March 2nd by Dr. Kramer with AMS/LGX. Had a problem lower left (scar tissue) and he placed a larger (thicker) implant as you can here on the YouTube video. Got all back, ED over 10 years before Implant.

scooter65

Postby scooter65 » Mon May 02, 2016 1:54 pm

Terry:

I did some digging into the anesthesia as well, beforre surgery. My Urologist normally does just general but I asked about doing a spinal and he was ok with that but said that it may take a little longer in the end. Since I was spending the night anyway, I opted for the spinal and it went extremely well. Even with the general I asked for just light anesthesia but they still used Versed living me with zero recollection of the procedure. Anyway, the procedure went great and my recovery went extremely fast and so if I was to do it again, i would do it with the spinal again. (I had surgery on Monday, released from the hospital on Tues and back to work on Wed).

Good luck.

Scott
Type 1 diabetic for 34 year, ED for the last 10, implant on 11/30/2015.

stringerbell

Postby stringerbell » Mon May 02, 2016 6:06 pm

Kramer told me he does a short general. He does the procedure in 15 minutes, he says the spinal lasts 3-4 hours. Sounds like Eidd in new york takes 2 hours to do his, maybe the spinal makes sense if your procedures takes a long time. Dr. Kramer had sent 3 people home by 12 my day, which would be the amount of time a spinal would take- so he explained not worth it. He also has had the same anesthesia guy for 10 years- so they're pretty tight and trust each other. At least that's how he explained it.

Return to “Implants”