Implant still works but bulb has stopped refilling

The final frontier. Deciding when, if and how.
alibaba

Re: Implant still works but bulb has stopped refilling

Postby alibaba » Wed May 18, 2016 12:32 am

psyched123 wrote:Well, it now looks like there is a leak. For a long while, the pump would at some point go flat, but the implant was rigid and usable. However, over the last couple of months it's progressively resulting in less rigidity.

I have given up on Dr. Morey. He did a botched job with the implant. The right tube was not placed fully into the glans and, because of this, it is bunched some at the base of the penis. This has not really been a problem with using it, because the left tube was placed correctly and keeps the glans firm and straight. However, it is definitely a botched job.

Also, discouraging is Morey's lack of follow-up.

Anyway, the implant is not only botched but leaks and is quickly becoming unusable. I have an appointment with Dr. Kansas in Austin who is supposed to be a high volume guy, He's very well reviewed by his patients. Austin is also much closer, so I will probably have him do the repair on Morey's mess.

I am sorry to hear of your troubles, very happy that you have found the issue and have a plan of action to fix it. Best of luck to you.
LGX 21cm .Milam 01/13/16. Horror; both service and surgical outcome. hated infrapubic installation. Kramer revision 03/01/17. 22cm Titan +1.5cm extender. Those who think their opinion is the only one that matters are a danger to themselves and others.

KMeister

Postby KMeister » Wed May 18, 2016 3:35 am

psyched123 wrote:Well, it now looks like there is a leak. For a long while, the pump would at some point go flat, but the implant was rigid and usable. However, over the last couple of months it's progressively resulting in less rigidity.

I have given up on Dr. Morey. He did a botched job with the implant. The right tube was not placed fully into the glans and, because of this, it is bunched some at the base of the penis. This has not really been a problem with using it, because the left tube was placed correctly and keeps the glans firm and straight. However, it is definitely a botched job.

Also, discouraging is Morey's lack of follow-up. He didn't even come by to check the implant in the hospital the morning after the surgery. Some trainee came by and just asked how things were going. If Morey had actually stopped by and looked, he surely would have seen the problem of the misplaced tube and addressed it right then. After the surgery, you are pretty much on your own. I never had a follow-up phone call or any contact from his office to answer questions or see if things were progressing.

I would caution anyone to avoid surgeons, like Morey, who work at teaching hospitals. I am certain that Morey had one of his trainees do the actual implanting and that's why I have this poor job. These docs are professors and their main concern is teaching people how to perform surgery. You will very likely become a subject for some new doc to learn on. Find a doc who's not involved in training.

Anyway, the implant is not only botched but leaks and is quickly becoming unusable. I have an appointment with Dr. Kansas in Austin who is supposed to be a high volume guy, He's very well reviewed by his patients. Austin is also much closer, so I will probably have him do the repair on Morey's mess.

I don't agree with your position on teaching hospitals. These facilities are often involved in developing the newest technology. All of the great surgeons didn't just become great surgeons. At one time they were also in training as well. Also, many of the great surgeons are involved in training others.

That written, I'm truly sorry about your situation and hope it is resolved soon. Forgive me if you've already answered this: Do you have insurance or paying out of pocket?

KMeister

psyched123

Postby psyched123 » Wed May 18, 2016 2:26 pm

I want surgeons to get the practice needed to become proficient in their profession. However, just no more learning their skills on my penis.

My wife had a breast reduction a number of years ago. Only after the surgery did she learn that the surgeon did one breast and then passed the knife to a resident trainee to do the other. You can tell which breast was done by the trainee.

The consistent advice on this site is that one should seek out a very high volume surgeon to perform their implant. That, of course, would not be the inexperienced hands of a resident trainee. The only way to make sure that your surgeon is actually doing the surgery is to avoid going under the knife in a teaching hospital.
Implanted AMS CX 700 11/15 by Dr. Morey in Dallas (botched). 6/16 - Surgery by Dr. Kansas in Austin to correct the mistakes. Works great now. Very pleased!

psyched123

Postby psyched123 » Thu May 19, 2016 6:42 am

Yes. There is lots of cutting edge research coming out of teaching hospitals. These docs are just like any other professors. The game is "Publish or perish" The cadre of residents and fellows that are assigned to them help them accomplish the hard work of research and are their main concern.

One thing that we found that you can't count on is that your professor doctor will, for sure, do the surgery. When my wife had her breast surgery, she checked the "No" on the box on a form that asked if a resident would be permitted to be involved in the operation. When they got in the operating room, the professor ignored her request and passed the knife to his trainee. You can tell which breast the trainee did. Teaching is the main job here. I know. I'm a retired professor. Patients on the table is how he teaches his students.

One might get lucky and, actually, have the professor perform the operation or have drawn a truly talented trainee that day. However, one needs to consider if you really want to take your chances with this.
Last edited by psyched123 on Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Implanted AMS CX 700 11/15 by Dr. Morey in Dallas (botched). 6/16 - Surgery by Dr. Kansas in Austin to correct the mistakes. Works great now. Very pleased!

psyched123

Postby psyched123 » Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:35 pm

I just got out of surgery this afternoon with Dr. Bryan Kansas who corrected one of the Morey trainee's errors. As you read earlier in this thread, I say don't go to a teaching doc to get your surgery. Way, way too risky. I made the mistake of using Dr. Morey at UTSouthwestern Med school and, obviously, was implanted by one of his fresh trainees. The results reinforced my strong advice to stay away from teaching hospitals unless you feel like helping the new resident trainees with a practice penis (yours).

There were two big (rookie) mistakes made installing my implant:

1. The right cylinder was implanted 1.5 centimeters short of the glans. Fortunately, the left cylinder was implanted correctly so that I did not leave the operation with a floppy glans. Because Morey never even looked at the implant the day after the surgery, he did not discover the mistake until the follow-up appt 6 weeks later. Too late then.

Dr. Kansas decided that, because the left cylinder was holding the glans fine for intercourse, correcting the right cylinder placement mistake was not really necessary. He, therefore, left the cylinders alone.

2. However, the second rookie error required new surgery to fix. Morey's trainee apparently only put in 20ml in the 100ml reservoir. The result of this was that I could only pump to a certain level which Dr. Kansas said was about 60% of what was possible. After pumping the 20ml, the pump would go flat. Because the level never varied over the months of my inflating and deflating almost everyday, it was clear that there was never a leak. It was mis-filled at the time of surgery. Apparently Morey was distracted at that time of reservoir filling and never noticed the error being made. Dr. Kansas sent me this description in an email that I received when I got back home today:

"I then tried to simply refill the old reservoir but I could not get more than 20 cc’s in it. Reason is that after about 6 weeks there is a capsule around these devices. That capsule is restrictive. Therefore I decided to remove the old reservoir and place a new one. This is the upper incision. I was able to get the old one out and place a new 65 cc reservoir on this side."

If you are looking for a really good implant surgeon in the central Texas area, you could pat yourself on the back if you used Dr. Kansas. He is very smart, capable, has done hundreds of implants, and, unlike the Morey machine, you feel very personally attended to.

I was just looking at the quality of the stitching on the incisions. What a difference between Morey's trainee and a real surgeon like Dr. Kansas! The Morey scrotal stitching reminded one of the stitching on the Frankenstein monster - course, uneven, ugly, worrisome. Dr. Kansas stitching looks like a plastic surgeon took over - beautifully even, tight and regular. It takes time and experience to become a good surgeon. Learned my lesson on this the hard way.

I can't wait to start enjoying my now fully working implant. Whew! What a trip to get here!

dg_moore

Postby dg_moore » Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:59 am

My Titan bulb sometimes collapses and takes quite a while to refill (30 seconds or more). This is intermittent and not really a problem (but I don't use my implant - if I were using it and had to wait 30 seconds between squeezes of the pump I'd be plenty annoyed).
Dave, 80, Maryland - Implant (Titan) 2008 by Dr. Andrew Kramer (failed Sept 2020) - never used due to a stroke that, among other things, ended my sex life.
Life is not the way it's supposed to be, it's the way it is.

Return to “Implants”