Unable to pump anymore

The final frontier. Deciding when, if and how.
warrenw123

Unable to pump anymore

Postby warrenw123 » Mon Sep 14, 2015 12:05 am

Hello everyone,

I am 47 now and got my implant about 3 1/2 years ago. I'm not sure of the exact model but I know it is AMS. Maybe one of the 700 models. Anyways, even with being married I never used it too much. About a month ago I went to pump it up and when I squeezed the bulb it would not inflate again to where I could pump it again. I pressed the deflate button and the bulb would fill again but same thing again. I figured I needed to see the doctor. I read on here someone had similar issues and it was because the tube was getting punched somewhere. So I tried doing it in different positions which helped him but same thing. Then a week ago I tried again and now I cannot even squeeze the bulb in. It says filled and unable to squeeze.

Right now I weight about 265 and have gained 40 pounds in the last year so I'm not sure of that is a factor here. I also have an umbilical hernia but I had that before when I got the implant. Could this be why? Or does this sound like a malfunction of the implant? I do plan to see the doctor but I don't have health insurance right now and need to save up $225 to see him. Before I had insurance with United Health and got the operation approved in 4 days and they paid 100% for this. It was worth it and really need to get this fixed. Unfortunately I am probably getting a divorce and kind of hard to find someone else with this not working.

Thanks!

charlesr

Re: Unable to pump anymore

Postby charlesr » Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:44 pm

Yup. Same thing happened to me. You may have gotten what is called the "lock-out" position in the pump. No big deal. My bulb was hard as a rock and nothing worked. However, with me, it was this way right from the get-go. As a result, I thought I had an implant that was defective.

The solution? Squeeze it as hard as you can and it should go back to normal. However, I have the Titan Touch. The link following is the abstract regarding this situation. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25260446 (You may or may not get this link to work, but you can search "Pseudo-malfunction of the Coloplast Titan Inflatable Penile Prosthesis One-Touch Release") So I would consult your urologist just to be sure. If he/she doesn't know about this, call someone else. This is common in about 7 percent of the implant users.

I could not squeeze it hard enough, so I went to my urologist. When he came into the room, I had the article with me and asked him if he had brought in a pair of pliers. He said no worries and, on the second try, gave it everything he had. I was getting a little nervous, as you have someone who has a surgeon grip squeezing with as much force as humanly possible right by your testicles. But, sure enough, he got it going. Zero pain. He said that if it happens again (rare) just squeeze it with all my might, and, if I can't just come back in and he'll fix it.
Last edited by charlesr on Tue Oct 27, 2015 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

charlesr

Postby charlesr » Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:52 pm

Just noticed (Sorry, I should have read more thoroughly) that you don't currently have a urologist. Two solutions. One, Give it a really hard pump. I have been told that it is impossible to break the thing. Once again, ask around for a professional opinion, but this is my experience with research. Two, get someone else (do you know any good female softball players? Does your wife want one last shot at doing something unique?) who is trustworthy, preferably with strong hands. I know it may seem weird, but, then again, after getting an implant, there is very little that can embarrass us. (bionic brotherhood, they call it?)
Born 1951. Radical Robotic Prostatectomy on October 6, 2013. Bionic with Titan Touch with Bioflex Zero Degree 18cm w/ (1) rte Implant, Infrapubic, on July 13, 2015.

MomWarnedMe

Postby MomWarnedMe » Thu Sep 17, 2015 10:59 pm

It's impossible to get information out of AMS Customer Service on any issues you may have...but I don't think this is a unique issue. If you don't practice using your pump at least a couple of times a week it seems that this issue arises for me. Every time I attempt to pump it up at the doctor's office the dang thing works. Like another person commented, and my doctor confirmed, you can't break the thing by pressing too hard on the pump, and the tubes are kink free tubes, so it's probably not a kinked tube. Although, you may want to feel the tubes from your penis to the pump to be sure there isn't an obvious kink.

Here's what seems to work for me. Use the deflate procedure first to set the switch fully in a deflate position. When activating the deflate button (or pump), use the tip (bone end) of your thumb...not the flat soft tissue of the thumb. Squeeze you penis to see if it's deflating. Secondly, although the AMS procedure tells you to hold the pump by the tubes (for stabilization)...I hold (squeeze) the pump square ends between my left hand thumb and index finger...squeeze hard, I read somewhere that this resets the switch. For me it seems to unstick the switch. I then squeeze the pump ball with the TIP of my right thumb and the TIP of my right index finger (I suppose this would be reversed if you're left handed). Try to give the pump a quick squeeze...you should feel the switch change from deflate to inflate. Also try different positions, laying down, standing up, light massaging of the penis between pumps, etc. It's just simple plumbing and you just need to find a combination of movements that works for you.

warrenw123

Postby warrenw123 » Mon Oct 19, 2015 11:28 pm

Sorry for the late reply. I kept checking my email for a notification of a reply here and did not get one. So I was going to reply with a bump to see if anyone had suggestions. I will give this a try tomorrow and let you know. Before I could squeeze it and it did not inflate back up. Then a few days after I was unable to squeeze it. Honestly I hardly ever used this. I guess just a situation with my marriage and not sure how that is really gonna go much longer. This problem has really hit me mentally cause how do you build a relationship with someone without being able to have sex. I was already assuming I was gonna have to go through everything again and this time pay for it myself. So hopefully I won't. I do have a urologist but have not made an appointment with him. Let me see how this works out and I'll post back. I'm just scared of squeezing too hard and something popping loose like a tube inside of me.

Thanks again!

alibaba

Postby alibaba » Tue Oct 20, 2015 12:48 am

I doubt you can pop a tube loose. the tubing connectors appear to be a similar design as the tool free air line connectors and they hold for years with 120 lbs or more pressure without fail. Used on Semis that bounce around with the pressure on them for 100,000 miles per year. d
LGX 21cm .Milam 01/13/16. Horror; both service and surgical outcome. hated infrapubic installation. Kramer revision 03/01/17. 22cm Titan +1.5cm extender. Those who think their opinion is the only one that matters are a danger to themselves and others.

RelievedofED1

Postby RelievedofED1 » Tue Oct 20, 2015 6:12 am

The office of the doc that put it in is obligated to keep your records for 7 years or more unless you had them sent somewhere though even then they probably still have them. You can ask them for a copy of op notes to see what type of implant you have or just ask them to check what brand and model and size etc. Once you have that info you can google unable to pump regarding that model or go to the manufacturers website to troubleshoot. As a previous respondent noted sometimes squeezing the flat ends of the block next to the pump ball will reset the pump lockout but good to have your operation info and model anyway for future reference. Goodluck with all you're going through.
66 year old with ED intermittently for years and consistently for the 2 years before implant. Tried everything. AMS CX 21cm+1 cm RTEs Dr Kramer 4/29/2015.
Revision 5/3/2021 AMS CX 700 21cm+2 cm RTEs.
Revision 2022 Titan XL 24 cm no RTEs.

warrenw123

Postby warrenw123 » Sun Nov 01, 2015 9:50 pm

I looked up the company and read the PDF for when having issues and it said what others here has suggested as far as squeezing the sides of the pump which I did. I squeezed it as hard as I could and then tried to squeeze the bulb and nothing changed. I tried this multiple times over the past week and still the same. So I guess its time to make an appointment and see if the doctor can see whats going on. I'm not sure if he will be able to tell if it is the pump immediately or if they will have to take a sonogram to see if anything is going on with the tubes. It will probably be a couple weeks till I can get in since I have a deductible to cover on my insurance. I'll keep you posted with any updates.

charlesr

Postby charlesr » Mon Nov 02, 2015 4:10 pm

Seeing a urologist would definitely be the best thing that you could do. Mine fixed the problem right in the office without a need for any equipment or fancy procedures.
Born 1951. Radical Robotic Prostatectomy on October 6, 2013. Bionic with Titan Touch with Bioflex Zero Degree 18cm w/ (1) rte Implant, Infrapubic, on July 13, 2015.

SteveH

Postby SteveH » Mon Nov 02, 2015 4:43 pm

I had it once with my AMS LGX -- fortunatly read the bit that said squeeze both ends of the box bit of the pump at each end and it reset it back to working order ---GOOD LUCK
AMS LGX 18cm with 3mm rte Feb 2015 - Penis damaged in bike accident August 2007

Return to “Implants”