The Rite of Passage has begun

The final frontier. Deciding when, if and how.
sabaone

The Rite of Passage has begun

Postby sabaone » Thu Nov 06, 2014 2:40 pm

The Rite of Passage has begun.
I’ve created a new topic heading (old one: A new man on October 30th). Why? Like many others I have learned so very much from contributors to this forum and I naturally want to share my experiences in case they could help others. I feel the topic title is important in attracting attention to the information contained therein. So here I’ll enter my daily journal as long as I keep it up and feel as if what I go through has value to others.

Sabaone
DOB:2/1940; 4 Oct 2011, date of Robotic surgery
Gleason 3+4=7
Cancer confined to one lobe, did not enter capsule

sabaone

Re: The Rite of Passage has begun

Postby sabaone » Thu Nov 06, 2014 2:41 pm

Home from hospital journal

Friday 31 Oct 2014–11–03 Day 1
In the hospital: The surgery was on Thursday. The doc came in and took off the bandages surrounding the penis & scrotum. The penis was sort of at attention due to the bandages and swelling; he hadn’t left it inflated or even partially inflated. The scrotum was swollen as was the pubic area above the penis, very swollen and very very tender, painful when touched or poked. The lower abdominal area was also swollen and painful.
Trying to walk was a challenge with the swollen scrotum. I had to walk out of the hospital, and then up 48 stairs up to our apartment. I wore jockey-type underwear.
Saturday 01 Nov Day 2
There are four areas of discomfort, and by that I include pain and itching: the main guy himself, the laddies and their covering, the pubic fat area above the penis, and the lower abdomen (wherein they planted the reservoir). Besides being cut into (I had peno-scrotal implantation), the scrotum was also shaved, as that makes for itchiness and the field crop starts to re-grow and re-cover the playing field.
For pain/discomfort I seem to alternating between Ibuprofen and Optilgin.
Gleason 3+4=7

sabaone

Postby sabaone » Thu Nov 06, 2014 2:43 pm

Sunday 02 Nov Day3
My wife took a couple of photos of the area, The scrotum was blackish with a longitudinal incision that looks like it went almost up to the penis. If so, this was due to the ventral phalloplasty the doc did in removing that triangle of skin between the penis and scrotum.

Called the doc to tell about the blood spots on my underwear (and sheets). He said that is not indicative of a problem, rather the draining from the stitches area. I also asked him about the need to have the penis pointing North. He said many find it more comfortable that way, but there is no reason for it; regardless of how I have it ”point” it will have no adverse affect on the implant. That’s good. It has been rather difficult keeping my guy “held” up in that position since there isn’t too much to him exposed right now and the underwear was rubbing either on the sensitive glans or the base where the incision starts.

Monday 03 Nov Day 4
Woke up about 0520 with pain on the outer surface of my scrotum, it was more of an irritating pain than a sharp cutting pain, Took 50 drops of Optilgin & that seemed to quell the pain,
I was wearing the XL size underwear I out on last night and it just wasn’t offering any support to boys and that felt uncomfortable so I went back to Large. It supports the boys but is tight around the waist, but I finally took them off because of the total discomfort.
The nurse from the hospital called to check on my condition regarding general level of pain & what I’m taking, whether there is/was fever, and blood. Told her there was more seepage than yesterday but it wasn’t flowing; she said to call the doctor. I SMS’d him with a photo.

He called back and said that things looked good, very good. He suggested that next time I take a shower, I squeeze my scrotum to squeeze some of the blood out. You know what it’s like to imagine yourself squeezing your balls, and then doing it? I didn’t see rivers of blood running out, maybe some did. All I know is my scrotum is still just as large, and I needed some painkiller after I dried off.

My balls were uncomfortable the rest of the day. I tried a different type of underwear, more like boxers but with more control. At first they felt good, but later on it was irritating since my thighs no longer had a barrier from the scrotum, and the scrotum became irritated. It took slow-me a few hours to figure out that I needed the briefs if for no other reason than to keep the scrotum from rubbing against my thighs. One problem solved.
After getting blood over all the shorts I wore, my wife suggested that I try some women’s pads, and they worked just great.
Gleason 3+4=7

sabaone

Postby sabaone » Thu Nov 06, 2014 2:45 pm

Tuesday 04 Nov Day 5
Got up around 0145 to pee. Peeing still seems to burn. I don’t know whether it is due to the fact that I had had a catheter , to insufficient water drinking, or? My scrotum was itchy and uncomfortable so I decided to try ibuprofen. It worked. Not only did those irritants of a few minutes prior go away, but I noticed that the pain in the pubic swelling diminished greatly. I think some of the swelling has gone down there, but not by much.

I went onto the computer for a few minutes but was able to drift off to sleep easily and woke up at 0630 to pee, back to sleep and slept till 0830,
When I got up the scrotum was very sensitive so I took more ibuprofen, and applied an ice pack (bag of frozen corn niblets) to the underside, and all feels fine now. What I’m now realizing is that the application of the ice pack is for pain reduction rather than hematoma reduction. That makes sense after seeing online that doctors recommend warm applications to reduce hematoma.
What I am also aware of, from time to time, is that my scrotum is uncomfortable because it is also itchy, and that I assume is due to the fact that it had been shaved for the operation.

The hematoma in the scrotum is still a big issue. I not only had to change underwear about 6 or 7 times do to blood seepage from the stitches, but even with the use of sanitary napkins, blood still ran onto the underwear.

Wednesday 05 Nov Day 6
Had a hard time sleeping last night due to general operating area soreness. And even though I hadn’t used general anesthesia, having a BM is not common occurrence, and that makes for some discomfort. I even notice that the anal sphincter area is also discolored like the other nether parts, and sensitive.

The glans is soft while I can feel the hardness of the implant tubing in the shaft, what little is exposed due to the area edema and the folds still evident from the surgery. The tip of the glans is still sensitive, but hey, it was punctured by two thin needles to pull the implants into place.
All in all, the major issue I see now is the swelling of the scrotum and its sensitivity. It’s the main inhibitor to any sort of movement. After my first shower of the day I used a tape measure to check the circumference of my scrotum. It was 33cm, that’s about 13 inches+. No wonder it’s hard to walk! One good thing is that the bleeding, or rather the drainage, has stopped. I hope that means that the stitches have healed.

I have to say again, the knowledge, inspiration, concern and support that has been shared by the members on Franktalk who have gone this route before me has been of enormous invaluable help and encouragement.
Gleason 3+4=7

sabaone

Postby sabaone » Thu Nov 06, 2014 2:46 pm

Thursday Nov 6 Day 7
Well, it’s hard to believe that it’s the one week birthday of Baby Titan. Five years ago I had never heard of such a thing as an implant. It wasn’t till the diagnosis of prostate cancer reared its ugly head that I started to go online to study the southern regions of our male bodies in any depth.

I probably read about penile implants as a solution to ED but blindly figured, “who, me,” and didn’t pay close attention. Even when my Buck Private had trouble standing at attention, I must have thought, “no way am I going to have my penis reamed and then stuffed with plastic tubing1”
So here I sit, or actually lean back with my scrotum resting on a bag of frozen a baby peas, contemplating the new world that will soon open for me. I’m proud of being part of the Class of October 2014.

By evening, I think my scrotum has gotten a bit smaller, actually a bit shorter and more compact. I think I can feel a nub of the pump down between the testicles. Nonetheless, it’s still painful trying to adjust my sitting position on the bed. The glans, though, are not as sensitive and can even be gently squeezed.
Gleason 3+4=7

stanri

Postby stanri » Fri Nov 07, 2014 4:55 pm

In an earlier message you said that your wife took photos. Could you post them either here or private to stanri@gmail.com. I'm planning to have it done, will be talking to the doctor in about 2 weeks. I have done a lot of reading and in spite of a few what seems to me unpleasant aspects I expect it to be worth it in the long run
age 80. Prostate removed (cancer) 20 years ago. ED resulted. 19+ years did nothing. Tried pills, vacuum pump (HATED IT), injections worked sometimes, but not dependable. Presently have a inflatable, worked the 1st year. Not working for me now.

sabaone

Postby sabaone » Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:20 am

Friday 07 Nov Day 8
A week ago today I came home from the hospital, sitting or sprawled in the back seat of the car trying not to put pressure on my delicate parts. I’m not in the back seat, but I am still trying not to put pressure on the boys down below.

I’m still taking ibuprofen about 4xday; no major pain just lots of discomfort. If I’ m spread on the bed, it’s OK. The walking to the bathroom aggravates things, and then I have to lie down and relax for the discomfort/irritation to settle down.

Things are still swollen below with black and blue still very evident. The scrotum is tight and heavy, making for awkward movement. The outer surface feels like a smooth hard rubber coating.
All in all, I think things are getting better. I see the doc on Sunday for his verdict (in this country Sunday is a working day).. He even called me yesterday to see how things were going and if I had any questions.

Saturday 08 Nov Day 9
As human beings we wouldn’t be around for very long were we not able to rid our body of toxins through urination. But boy, when I have to get up to pee, and then make re-entry to bed, my scrotum screams bloody hell for a few agonizing minutes. I find this particularly disruptive when I get up to pee at night and then try to get comfortable enough to sleep.

When I woke up this AM I noticed that my scrotum only felt tough on roughly three sides. The rear left quadrant actually felt like a regular soft scrotum skin. This, sadly, soon changed back to rawhide too.
Gleason 3+4=7

sabaone

Postby sabaone » Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:23 am

I decided to post Day 10's report even though the day hasn't ended. I'll amend if necessary.

Sunday 09 Nov Day 10
I don’t know, maybe I’m just a sissy. I still have pain (nothing that needs narcotics although they would probably make me feel good). I read about some guys who have gone through this and after their first week are out chopping wood, wrestling with bears, etc. Me, after making a trek to the bathroom, I feel like I just wrestled a bear.

I’ve noticed a “moving” swelling on the left side of the pubic area, just alongside the top of the penis. It’s tender. Yet, when I go to sleep on my left side the swelling finds another location that doesn’t bother me. Can’t understand it. I see the doc today and hope to get some answers.

The other thing I have to talk about with the MD is the penis size. I never was big, maybe on the average to just below average. When I used to get hard and even with injections, I could hold my erection in my fist and see the end by my thumb. Now, I got about 3 fingers width sticking out without being pumped (at least that’s what the doctor said).

Everything I see on YouTube says the implants will only add girth, not length. Does this mean I’m stuck with a pencil stub after this operation? Not sure it’s worth it. It reminds me of an episode of Sin in the City where Samantha, the more adventurous of the group, was in bed with one of her paramours and said, OK, stick it in!” He replied, It’s already in!” This was an unpleasant experience for both.

Well, I just came back from the doc. He likes the way things look except that the scrotum is taking too long to go down on size. It turns out I have been doing things all wrong. When I had my RPP the doc told me I needed to walk as much as I could without straining myself, as this would help heal the hematoma in the scrotum. Now then, I hadn’t had my scrotum cut open, so there is a bit of a difference. Nonetheless, this surgeon told me the fact that I have been staying in bed most of the time is the reason the swelling hasn’t gone down.

Now why did I stay in bed and not walk around? Well, 2 reasons: (1) he never told me to do so not had he handed me instructions to do so. (2) Absent direct instructions from him, I followed what seemed to be the prevalent advice in this forum, and that was lots of bed rest. Of course everybody is different, and maybe the bed-resters didn’t get swollen sacs, and, possibly, have a different body physiology than I have. Nonetheless, I’m now starting to make sure I move around a lot; I don’t like carrying them heavy balls between my legs – makes for awkward movement.
Gleason 3+4=7

sabaone

Postby sabaone » Sun Nov 09, 2014 10:09 am

Day 10, the final part for the day

I forgot to ask the doctor about penis size when I was there, so I SMS’d my question. He just now answered and said that what I have protruding (not his words) is a pre-activation penis and that after 3-6 months of daily activation we will “get to the eventual size.” What that size was is any one’s guess.

He put in a Coloplast Titan, 18cm, not a real biggie, and, of course, part of that is internal but even half of that is more than I am showing. It makes me think of a guy the service who always used to brag that “all I have is a1/4 dick but I got a pile-driving ass.” Well, I got more than the `1/4 inch but the old pile-driver doesn’t function like it did straight from the factory.
Does anybody know how much of the implant is hidden in the body and how much actually gets into the exposed penis?
Gleason 3+4=7

dg_moore

Postby dg_moore » Sun Nov 09, 2014 10:42 am

sabaone wrote:Day 10, the final part for the day

I forgot to ask the doctor about penis size when I was there, so I SMS’d my question. He just now answered and said that what I have protruding (not his words) is a pre-activation penis and that after 3-6 months of daily activation we will “get to the eventual size.” What that size was is any one’s guess.

He put in a Coloplast Titan, 18cm, not a real biggie, and, of course, part of that is internal but even half of that is more than I am showing. It makes me think of a guy the service who always used to brag that “all I have is a1/4 dick but I got a pile-driving ass.” Well, I got more than the `1/4 inch but the old pile-driver doesn’t function like it did straight from the factory.
Does anybody know how much of the implant is hidden in the body and how much actually gets into the exposed penis?

I don't know the exact proportions, but my surgeon told me that more than half the length of the cylinders is internal. This is required to support the cantilever effect of the external portion and prevent buckling that could occur if the hinge point is further to the rear than to the front. He also told me that the immediate apparent length post surgery could increase over time, but how much is hard to predict. In my case the length after surgery was about the same as before, and after 6 years it hasn't increased much. But due to circumstances I've never used my implant and inflate only rarely - if I had exercised it more perhaps I would have seen more increase.
Dave, 80, Maryland - Implant (Titan) 2008 by Dr. Andrew Kramer (failed Sept 2020) - never used due to a stroke that, among other things, ended my sex life.
Life is not the way it's supposed to be, it's the way it is.

Return to “Implants”