Titan OTR

The final frontier. Deciding when, if and how.
dennov

Re: Titan OTR

Postby dennov » Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:09 pm

Jbcsatx wrote:Dennov, I am three days ahead of you and I am nervous too. It comes in waves-hope to talk to surgeon Friday to ask all of my unanswered questions. I will post more after that! Jim

I went to the doc today for an EKG, everything was fine but he now wants to do a treadmill test before the surgery because I had two stints put in about 10 years ago, I told him I workout with weights three days a week and use my treadmill all the time with no problem. He still insists on it and if I can't get the test done before 10/12/12 I may have to postpone my surgery, I've had lots of surgeries and this one has me the most nervous, I just want to get it over with, good luck with yours :) .
61 year old with a 23 cm Titan.

Jbcsatx

Postby Jbcsatx » Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:18 pm

Dennov
I was surprised I did not have to get clearance from cardiologist since I have High Blood Pressure etc but luckily I did not. My EKG was perfect and I guess the 8 tubes of blood were ok too as I have heard nothing from the office. I am going to spend my weekend partying with friends and try to keep my mind off of the surgery. Just ready for Tuesday morning at 5:30 to get here. Hope yours does not get delayed Jim

dennov

Postby dennov » Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:32 am

Jbcsatx wrote:Dennov
I was surprised I did not have to get clearance from cardiologist since I have High Blood Pressure etc but luckily I did not. My EKG was perfect and I guess the 8 tubes of blood were ok too as I have heard nothing from the office. I am going to spend my weekend partying with friends and try to keep my mind off of the surgery. Just ready for Tuesday morning at 5:30 to get here. Hope yours does not get delayed Jim

Have fun at the party :lol: , stay away from the blood thinners! Thanks, I'm calling first thing in the morning to make sure the test is done some time early next week if at all possible.
See ya on the other side of bonerville (that didn't sound right :shock: )
61 year old with a 23 cm Titan.

dusty01

Postby dusty01 » Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:32 am

Let me preface the following comments by noting that, at four months post-surgery, I feel that I am nowhere near fully recovered. As such, I may not have the best perspective on the long-term benefits or pitfalls of the Titan OTR implant. In addition, I can't really distinguish between the procedure and the product since I have no experience with anything but the Titan device.

That said, I would have to say that the single most bothersome aspect of my implant is in the flaccid state. Yes, I read testimonies from fellow implantees about embarrassing bulges and difficulty finding comfortable underwear, and I heard detailed warnings about changes in flaccid and erect size from both doctors and device manufacturers, and I viewed videos of patients demonstrating the operation and appearance of their devices. Even with that information I wasn’t fully prepared for what has since followed. To put it simply, it feels like a 24 hour-a-day erection, except that it points down. It’s the same feeling that we’ve all experienced in our younger days when trying to push down an unwanted and embarrassing erection, except that the erection never goes away. It is firm enough to use for masturbation; no need to inflate. I’ve spent most of my life walking around with a flaccid penis that, for the most part, I was totally unaware of. Now I’m reminded of its presence every time I sit down or stand up, or get into or out of a car, or swing my leg over a bicycle seat, or bend down to pick something up. And it’s not so much because the implant is large or bulky, it’s because it doesn’t bend. I was looking forward to the advertised increase in flaccid length, what I wasn’t prepared for was the inflexibility and the resultant discomfort. Guys who are further down the road to recovery no doubt have a better take on this, but I’ve read as many comments from guys who suggest that this stiffness never goes away as those who say it is no longer an issue. And I can’t tell from these comments if the Titan ever really softens up or that the owners simply grow accustomed to it. My doctor was rather non-committal about this except to say that it will get better.

The other surprisingly troublesome aspect of the Titan OTR implant is the “pain at the pump.” Sitting in a car or in an airplane seat for extended periods can become excruciatingly uncomfortable. And there is no position, short of standing up, that fully relieves the discomfort. At the suggestion of someone in this group, I recently purchased one of those donut cushions for use in the car, and that seems to help a little. While there has been slow improvement, after four months it is still a concern that I wasn’t anticipating.

I realize that these comments may come across as overly negative, and I should point out that I have been generally pleased with the outcome. From a visual standpoint, the implant is nearly undetectable. Sexual activity is far more spontaneous and satisfying that it has been after more than two years of pills, pumps and needles. While some sex positions that used to work are no longer effective, others are more enjoyable than they used to be. There is definitely an aspect of “starting over” in all of this, but this is all very exciting and encouraging, especially considering where I’ve been.

After four months, the general conclusion I can make is that this procedure is far more complicated and has a far longer recovery phase than I was expecting. It is definitely not “wait six weeks and get back in the saddle.” While I don’t think I was ever misled or given inaccurate information, I also feel that this was never really made clear. I have had four major surgeries in the past two years, including robotic prostatectomy, and the implant has been, by far, the most difficult to recover from. It could also be that the information was there all along and I ignored it; a case of selective hearing on my part. Whatever the case, I hope that these observations, while perhaps not entirely representative of the long-term experience of other implantees, may be useful to those who have yet to make this important decision.

vladtepes

Postby vladtepes » Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:51 pm

Dusty01

Thanks for the detailed explanation of the negative points that not too many are talking about.
Is helping me to be more ready what to expect from the implant I am planning at the beggining of November.

Vlad

buckshot

Postby buckshot » Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:28 pm

As far as I am concerned , the benefits FAR outweight any of the negatives associated with the implant and the surgery. After almost 2 years of not being able to sexually bond with my wife this is heaven!!! It is truly a win-win solution...I love it and , equally important, my wife loves it!!!!! :D

rlm1818

Postby rlm1818 » Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:20 pm

I have a Titan OTR also (22cm,no RTE's), and am about 8 months post-op. From what I've read in the archives here on FT and in the Yahoo Implant group, experiences vary A LOT from one person to another. I think the variations have more to do with individual differences than differences with any specific device, whether Titan, LGX, or CX.

dusty01 wrote:Let me preface the following comments by noting that, at four months post-surgery, I feel that I am nowhere near fully recovered. As such, I may not have the best perspective on the long-term benefits or pitfalls of the Titan OTR implant. In addition, I can't really distinguish between the procedure and the product since I have no experience with anything but the Titan device.

That said, I would have to say that the single most bothersome aspect of my implant is in the flaccid state. Yes, I read testimonies from fellow implantees about embarrassing bulges and difficulty finding comfortable underwear, and I heard detailed warnings about changes in flaccid and erect size from both doctors and device manufacturers, and I viewed videos of patients demonstrating the operation and appearance of their devices. Even with that information I wasn’t fully prepared for what has since followed. To put it simply, it feels like a 24 hour-a-day erection, except that it points down. It’s the same feeling that we’ve all experienced in our younger days when trying to push down an unwanted and embarrassing erection, except that the erection never goes away. It is firm enough to use for masturbation; no need to inflate. I’ve spent most of my life walking around with a flaccid penis that, for the most part, I was totally unaware of. Now I’m reminded of its presence every time I sit down or stand up, or get into or out of a car, or swing my leg over a bicycle seat, or bend down to pick something up. And it’s not so much because the implant is large or bulky, it’s because it doesn’t bend. I was looking forward to the advertised increase in flaccid length, what I wasn’t prepared for was the inflexibility and the resultant discomfort. Guys who are further down the road to recovery no doubt have a better take on this, but I’ve read as many comments from guys who suggest that this stiffness never goes away as those who say it is no longer an issue. And I can’t tell from these comments if the Titan ever really softens up or that the owners simply grow accustomed to it. My doctor was rather non-committal about this except to say that it will get better.

There is no question my flaccid is a LOT bigger than before surgery. And, somewhat stiffer. But I don't ever feel like I have a 24 hour a day erection when its fully deflated. Nor do I feel like its all that stiff. When its fully deflated, I can grab it with one hand and bend it 180 degrees (pointing back towards my body) at any point from the base to the glans. If I lie on my back it lays flat against my belly or along my scrotum, if thats where I put it. I takes about 4 or 5 pumps to get “lift off”.

I mostly wear boxers, and have no problem “stowing” it. It just hangs down and unless I pump it a few times, there is no bulge and I don't have to do anything special to put it in place. However, if I'm active I always prefer something tighter, like boxer briefs, to keep it from flopping around, whereas this was less of an issue prior to the impant. This is due to the larger size, primarily.

One thing, make sure you're fully deflating. With the OTR you're supposed to be able to squeeze the deflate valve once and it will deflate by itself. Sometimes I have to squeeze the valve a second or third time, or it doesn't deflate fully and it definitely is a semi erection (even if I try to squeeze my penis, I sometimes have to also squeeze the deflate valve again). Also, if you just let it deflate by itself, there will be residual fluid in the cylinders (at least for me). This results in a somewhat stiffer flaccid (about equivalent to 2-4 pumps). If I squeeze my penis hard (one hand, then the other, or palms together) I can get virtually all the fluid out of the accessible portion of the cylinders, and my penis will look flattened and deformed. Its very flexible at this point, but feels plasticy. There will still be residual fluid in the portions of the cylinders that my hand can't get to (deep in my body), and after a short time some of this fluid will drift down and partly fill the cylinders and it will again look fuller and normal, but will be more flexible.

There are others who have reported experiences similar to yours... always semi, stiff, etc. And, I have read about that with BOTH LGX and Titan, though more frequently with the Titan. However, I think the majority of experiences I've read about are closer to mine than yours.

dusty01 wrote:The other surprisingly troublesome aspect of the Titan OTR implant is the “pain at the pump.” Sitting in a car or in an airplane seat for extended periods can become excruciatingly uncomfortable. And there is no position, short of standing up, that fully relieves the discomfort. At the suggestion of someone in this group, I recently purchased one of those donut cushions for use in the car, and that seems to help a little. While there has been slow improvement, after four months it is still a concern that I wasn’t anticipating.

I have not had this experience, and while I've read of a few others with similar issues, I think for most people this is not a problem. I'd say I have had zero pain or discomfort in any position, sitting or otherwise, since week 2 or three post-op.

dusty01 wrote:Sexual activity is far more spontaneous and satisfying that it has been after more than two years of pills, pumps and needles. While some sex positions that used to work are no longer effective, others are more enjoyable than they used to be. There is definitely an aspect of “starting over” in all of this, but this is all very exciting and encouraging, especially considering where I’ve been.

I'd agree with just about all of this, except I haven't found any sex positions that worked before that don't work now. However, I've never been a practitioner of 100+ sex positions either. ;-) However, getting used to the sensations and the differences is indeed somewhat like “starting over” for me. For some people I've read about, there seems to be less adjustment.

dusty01 wrote:After four months, the general conclusion I can make is that this procedure is far more complicated and has a far longer recovery phase than I was expecting. It is definitely not “wait six weeks and get back in the saddle.” While I don’t think I was ever misled or given inaccurate information, I also feel that this was never really made clear. I have had four major surgeries in the past two years, including robotic prostatectomy, and the implant has been, by far, the most difficult to recover from. It could also be that the information was there all along and I ignored it; a case of selective hearing on my part. Whatever the case, I hope that these observations, while perhaps not entirely representative of the long-term experience of other implantees, may be useful to those who have yet to make this important decision.

I don't have the range of surgical experience you do. My only other surgery was a kidney stone removal, and I found the first 2 weeks after surgery much easier with the implant. But, I also had complications with the stone removal, and none with the implant. I feel like I had a very easy recovery from the surgery itself. Minimal swelling, bruising and pain. No narc pain meds needed after the first 24 hours. I was back to normal (light) activities in less than a week, and playing golf, carrying clubs at the 3 week mark. However, when I first started pumping at week 6, pumping to the max was quite painful, and it took almost 3 months before I could pump to the max and leave it for long periods (eg an hour). Recovery in the sense of getting used to the new equipment, the new sensations, and letting my body stretch and adjust, has been, for me, MUCH more than a 6 week and back in the saddle. But not unpleasant. Interesting and mostly fun.
22cm Coloplast Titan OTR implanted Feb 2012 by Dr Francois Eid in NYC.
Initial implant experience here: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1308

dusty01

Postby dusty01 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:36 am

rlm1818

It has been a bit more than a month since that last post, and I have to say that I have experienced significant improvement in the several nagging issues that I discussed in some detail. I think that this just reinforces the notion that the recovery time for this procedure can be lengthy and can certainly differ from one individual to another. What seems to be a consistent theme in almost all of the posts I've read is the fact that there is always improvement, sometimes quick and sometimes not so quick, but almost everyone feels better and more comfortable with their new equipment over time. And I agree with you completely that this process is very interesting and mostly fun. One thing that we tend to forget is that the sexual experience is always more rewarding when you're not thinking about the performance of your equipment. How long it takes to get to that point will certainly differ from one guy to the next, but almost everyone seems to get there eventually. And that's very exciting!

Return to “Implants”