Coloplast Titan and Length

The final frontier. Deciding when, if and how.
dusty01

Re: Coloplast Titan and Length

Postby dusty01 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:03 pm

rlm:

Thanks for your input. All of it makes sense. I will pursue this in greater detail when I next meet with my doctor.
Last edited by dusty01 on Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

rlm1818

Postby rlm1818 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:05 pm

Danny --

I don't know all the answers. But the cylinders go inside the cavernosa. The cavernosa includes several inches that are hidden inside the body. I assume that even the exact length of the cavernosa in the visible portion of the penis may not be easily measurable from outside the body. Until they cut you open and measure both directions (distal, towards the glans, and proximal, into the body) I don't think they can know the exact size. They can guess, but not know exactly. My surgeon, who has done over 3,000 implants, initially guessed a 20 cm Titan for me during a sonogram, but installed a 22cm after actual measurements. I'm very happy he did some actual measurements during surgery (according to the OR notes, each cavernosum was measured 3 times).
22cm Coloplast Titan OTR implanted Feb 2012 by Dr Francois Eid in NYC.
Initial implant experience here: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1308

danny1553

Postby danny1553 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:17 pm

rlm1818 wrote:But the cylinders go inside the cavernosa. The cavernosa includes several inches that are hidden inside the body.

I am quite slim. There is probably less than 0.5" from the skin to the bone in the public area. I suppose the implant has to lean against the bone so I would guess that in cases like this there shouldn't be any discrepancy between "external" measurement vs. after the dilation.

My surgeon, who has done over 3,000 implants, initially guessed a 20 cm Titan for me during a sonogram, but installed a 22cm after actual measurements. I'm very happy he did some actual measurements during surgery (according to the OR notes, each cavernosum was measured 3 times).

You are the lucky one who got a doctor who was not overwhelmed with own experience ego so that he took the objective measurement rather than jut putting "whatever fits" in according to his experience.

Other thing I am wondering is that why they cannot introduce any kind of marking measurement prior to the surgery to know the exact size. Like injecting some sort of X-Ray visible fluid into the penis and take an X-Ray picture to know exactly what size will go. I guess this way the patient would be more informed and if the proposed implant size is not satisfactory then the procedure can be cancelled prior to the irreversible damage being done.
Like in my case I'd rather stay with the limp dick of a normal size rather than having a "little bump" with the plastic inside the body if the end result size would be less than 5".
The procedure costs thousand dollars and I do not think the X-Ray sceening prior to the procedure would add to that substantially. Just my thoughts...

rlm1818

Postby rlm1818 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:47 pm

Dusty --

I used Dr Eid. I traveled from out of town and spent 3 nights in NYC. On the day after the surgery Dr Eid visited me in my hotel and checked things out. At that point he gave me a copy of the "Patient Information Form" which had all the details about the Titan, including copies of the labels and serial numbers of the various components. He also gave me a copy of a 5 page, single spaced "Operative Record" detailing exactly what he did and what he found and observed. I assume both of these are SOP for him, but don't know that for sure. I would think Dr Eid or Ruby or Silvia could mail, email or fax you copies of these. It might be interesting for you to peruse them prior to meeting the Dr again.

rlm1818

Postby rlm1818 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:53 pm

Danny --

Even if you are 0% body fat, your internal penis structures, cavernosa, spongiosum, etc extend several inches into your body. If they didn't your erection wouldn't be stable and would flop around and not be anchored to anything. If you google around I'm sure you can find a decent illustration of penile anatomy.

Also, I've never heard of any surgeon doing this procedure who didn't measure carefully on the operating table after cutting open the cavernosa. The AMS operating room manual specifically instructs that this should be done, and even spells out how to do it. It even recommends slightly different measurement methods for the LGX vs the CX. I haven't seen a Titan document like that, but I'd be positive they would recommend the same. I have also read medical journal articles about measurement issues during surgery. I don't consider myself lucky to have a surgeon who takes the care to measure. I would have expected that from any surgeon I would have gone to. However, based on the medical journal articles I've read about, I think there are significant elements of judgement in the measurement process, and that its not as precise and scientific as some patients believe. That's one reason I think selection of the surgeon is so important.

dusty01

Postby dusty01 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:06 pm

rlm

I'm not sure why I didn't get the post-op documentation detail that you did, but I assume it has to do with the fact that I am local and will see him again soon. Again, many thanks for the input; it certainly helps to know that others have been through very similar situations. Thanks again.

Dusty
Last edited by dusty01 on Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

danny1553

Postby danny1553 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:28 pm

rlm1818 wrote: I don't consider myself lucky to have a surgeon who takes the care to measure. I would have expected that from any surgeon I would have gone to. However, based on the medical journal articles I've read about, I think there are significant elements of judgement in the measurement process, and that its not as precise and scientific as some patients believe. That's one reason I think selection of the surgeon is so important.

That happens. There are few people on this forum who got the floppy head due to improper measurement.
Also from the chat with my uro I understood that some doctors feel so comfortable about their experience that their length jusdgement is based on their experience rather than through the stretching device (which provides objective data). From what I was told, measurement after dilation with the special stretching device is not a mandatory step but highly recommended. While in Canada skipping this step is the way to get fired right away.

KMeister

Postby KMeister » Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:45 pm

Dusty,

I had a Coloplast Titan (not OTR) installed last June but due to floppy head problems I had corrective surgery done last December. It's much better now. My brothers on this forum have reported successes and failures from both Coloplast and AMS. That's the nature of surgery. A foreign object is being place in your body; there can be complications.

Personally, my flaccid length is 6 1/2, while my erect length is a little over 7 1/2, so for me there is a significant difference between my penis soft vs. hard. One of our brothers wrote a few months ago that it's very helpful to pump up regularly every day for a few months after activation. I agree with his position. I also agree with another brother here who suggested that you get your op report. The doctor may have it but you will most certainly get it from the facility where you had the procedure done. Best wishes!

KMeister

Return to “Implants”