Why pick a top notch experienced doctor?

The final frontier. Deciding when, if and how.
alibaba

Why pick a top notch experienced doctor?

Postby alibaba » Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:58 pm

Over and over we are told on this forum any surgical urologist can install an implant and there is no need to go to a top doctor. Check out your doctor. Get some feedback from other patients. Don't necessarily rely on a nurse's opinion. Keep in mind the following experience is not related to a dick implant but the same scenerio can apply.
I asked nurses for a suggestion who to do my most recent surgery to remove a tumor. The name I was given seemed reasonable and he seemed a nice guy. I had no problems. Moved on to oncology. Due to infighting between competing hospitals, doctors that did not have privileges at both, refusal to share information and tests, I ended up going to a big city medical school hospital. There I learn the first surgeon only did a partial operation so now I have an upcoming operation to finish the job, hopefully to keep the cancer from spreading and try for 1 more year. 281 mile trip to see that doctor. Going to a recommended local surgeon was the idea to keep from putting thousands of miles on in multiple trips, hotel and meal expenses and such. Instead it is going to cost me more tests, another surgery, a minimum of 1 month off plus physical therapy. All because I tried to save time, money and travel inconvenience. Some of you will say I just won't learn. I guess that is right. This is the 5th time something like this has happened. I am getting tired of redos.

I am not saying every local guy is bad. Some are excellent. Some of you live close to top notch services too. Just chose your surgeon well. Cheers. d
LGX 21cm .Milam 01/13/16. Horror; both service and surgical outcome. hated infrapubic installation. Kramer revision 03/01/17. 22cm Titan +1.5cm extender. Those who think their opinion is the only one that matters are a danger to themselves and others.

ocitgo

Re: Why pick a top notch experienced doctor?

Postby ocitgo » Sat Aug 18, 2018 4:49 am

My implant was installed by my local urologist in a local hospital. He has been with me for several yrs. My insurance covered 100%.

It is imported to ask more questions, if you don't have an urologist and verify he does more than a couple a month.
ocitgo (Bob F), Bremerton, WA
Implanted 11/13/2017 AMS 700LGX 15 cm, leak, 3 cm rear tip
Implanted 06/17/2019 AMS 700LGX 18 cm, 1.5 cm rear tip

LMCatman

Postby LMCatman » Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:13 am

Because I didn't for my first implant.......
73 Years old. RP Oct 2010, No erections after, Botched Titan implant April, 2013, Successful Titan revision, April , 2014 by Dr. Paul Perito, Miami. Titan failure Feb 2017. Rev. by Dr Perito March 1st, 2017. Titan failure Nov 2020. New Titan January 2021

Limpbizcit

Postby Limpbizcit » Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:59 am

I found this out the hard way.
Age 47. ED for over 20 years. Diagnosed with Hypogonadism. Pills and trimix do not work consistently. Implanted with 24cm AMS CX 12/12/17. Infected implant removed and replaced with AMS Spectra 2/18/18. Implanted with 26CM Titan 10/02/18. So far so good.

David_R

Postby David_R » Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:22 am

alibaba wrote:Some of you live close to top notch services too. Just chose your surgeon well.

I totally agree! :!:

Larry10625

Postby Larry10625 » Sat Aug 18, 2018 2:14 pm

ocitgo wrote:My implant was installed by my local urologist in a local hospital. He has been with me for several yrs. My insurance covered 100%.

It is imported to ask more questions, if you don't have an urologist and verify he does more than a couple a month.

Part of the problem with medical procedures is the protection of privacy. I can't just get a list of former patients to call and IF such a list did exist, it will obviously just have satisfied customers on it. ALL doctors make mistakes... the last perfect person was put up on a cross. The top implant surgeons have made mistakes and the guy, maybe considered to be the worse (I don't know who this may be) may have had some implants that went perfectly. This is why I practically beg members to tell us names and bad experiences. Something else to consider... the top implant surgeons have taught and mentored several up and coming students... is it not reasonable to assume that those students would be great at what they do?? :)

Larry

justanotherdrumber

Postby justanotherdrumber » Sat Aug 18, 2018 4:27 pm

Larry10625 wrote:
ocitgo wrote:My implant was installed by my local urologist in a local hospital. He has been with me for several yrs. My insurance covered 100%.

Part of the problem with medical procedures is the protection of privacy. I can't just get a list of former patients to call and IF such a list did exist, it will obviously just have satisfied customers on it. ALL doctors make mistakes... the last perfect person was put up on a cross. The top implant surgeons have made mistakes and the guy, maybe considered to be the worse (I don't know who this may be) may have had some implants that went perfectly. This is why I practically beg members to tell us names and bad experiences. Something else to consider... the top implant surgeons have taught and mentored several up and coming students... is it not reasonable to assume that those students would be great at what they do?? :)

Larry

In an interesting note:

My PCP revealed to me that in fact, "you are the only patient I know of that actually HAS an implant, your case is the first I've seen; when you first brought the topic up I was uncertain if you would actually ever go tthrough with it."

The local urologist I interviewed was appalled that I thought I thought I would have to go "out of town" to have the proceedure done.

My perception was based upon, "information that I could find on the internet".

I wish I had discovered F/T prior to my initial IPP proceedure.

[ ..... to be continued ]
Erie,PA
Age 64 - g/f 34
Implanted ams700 lgx, 18cm+1cm RTE
March 2018

alibaba

Postby alibaba » Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:22 pm

I posted here long ago, my PCP gave me the names (after asking them first) of some of his patients who had implants and the horrors they went through. I think I posted before one who had 4 implants and sued one of his doctors before he obtained his length back and had one usable. My PCP told me every one of his patients had problems with their implants. All were in the St. Louis metro area.

Spent part of day before yesterday at both hospital record archives. I expected to see records being processed for patients. I did not expect to see STACKS AND STACKS of records with the names of the attorneys suing the hospitals and the bill for the records. There were dozens of them.
LGX 21cm .Milam 01/13/16. Horror; both service and surgical outcome. hated infrapubic installation. Kramer revision 03/01/17. 22cm Titan +1.5cm extender. Those who think their opinion is the only one that matters are a danger to themselves and others.

RayChez

Postby RayChez » Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:12 am

I always do research on the surgeon that will do my surgeries. You want a surgeon that has done many and is experienced. Check their ratings on goggle. You can usually get all that information through the internet.

Penile implant is really not that complicated for a urologists that has studied on how it is done. On me it really has been a simple operation and have been an out patient in both cases. So don't be scared to have that surgery if you suffer from ED. ED to me is a terrible thing for a man, mentally and physically. But any surgery can be dangerous if you are a diabetic or other diseases that can cause complications. But if you are healthy, it is a piece of cake.
age: 75 First implant around 2001, 59 at the time. AMS 700 Ultrex
revision Dec 2016. 2ND implant 21CM, 1rte AMS 700 LGX MS pump

Larry10625

Postby Larry10625 » Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:09 am

alibaba wrote:I posted here long ago, my PCP gave me the names (after asking them first) of some of his patients who had implants and the horrors they went through. I think I posted before one who had 4 implants and sued one of his doctors before he obtained his length back and had one usable. My PCP told me every one of his patients had problems with their implants. All were in the St. Louis metro area.

Spent part of day before yesterday at both hospital record archives. I expected to see records being processed for patients. I did not expect to see STACKS AND STACKS of records with the names of the attorneys suing the hospitals and the bill for the records. There were dozens of them.

Ali, if you don't mind me asking, how did you make out at you law suit? If you are under a gag order, I think you can find a creative way to answer the question and adhere to the gag order. :)

Larry

Return to “Implants”