Issues for out-of-town implants and revisions

The final frontier. Deciding when, if and how.
MT5400

Re: Issues for out-of-town implants and revisions

Postby MT5400 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:35 pm

Dear Tybeeman and flyweed,
Congratulations on your successful experience with your local doctor. For me, the implant was (is) a major empowerment, self-image benefit and the cost of travel to see the best surgeon, even though geographically remote, was not an inhibiting factor. Based on my research, I found Dr. Eid to be eminently qualified -- and a nice guy, as well -- that is why I chose him for my first implant. However, my subsequent infection was devastating for my wife and I. It was so pervasive that no replacement three piece or malleable rod could be swapped at removal of the infected device. I was told to expect scarring and fibrosis in the corpora which would make a subsequent implant more challenging -- not to mention the dreaded penile shortening. I can assure you gentlemen there is nothing “fishy” regarding the devastation of spending eight nights in a crowded New York hospital while they search for a bacteria that has robbed you of your manhood.
It wasn’t until I saw a video with Dr. Kramer on YouTube where an implant was performed on a gentleman with a similar negative experience with infection and subsequent scarring fibrosis that I allowed myself to consider at least a malleable, semirigid rod (likely to fit more easily in my scarred corpora, with minimal infection potential) or, if corpora scarring could be dealt with, an AMS 700 (antibiotic treated, with ostensible increased infection protection) might be fitted. I found Dr. Kramer to be most knowledgeable, responsive, and pleasant and I gave him complete discretion regarding what procedure would be most practicable. When he opened me up for surgery, after cleaning up the corpora, he determined that the three-piece device was feasible, with acceptable infection risk. It is now nine weeks post-surgery and I am delighted to be infection free with my resuscitated member performing as advertised. For that, I am extremely grateful.
I had no intention of slamming Midwest doctors (or Dr. Eid) in my post. My intent was to inspire others who have had a bad experience with hopeful possibilities and that, regardless of where the physician is located, diligence is required to identify a surgeon with appropriate competence and experience; and one that is capable of communicating and delivering on the alternatives. All best.
MT5400
Married 40 years. Prostate cancer: RL robotic prostatectomy; two months adjuvent radiation therapy early 2016
first implant: Titan; subsequent infection in two months; removal without replacement early 2017
implant revision: June 2018; AMS 700

torless50

Postby torless50 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:56 pm

A question how is your lenght now after the second surgery and the infection? Have you lost many lenght after the infection?
Just wondering how much length is normal to lose after an infection. Thx
Peyronie
Thinking about implant

alibaba

Postby alibaba » Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:25 pm

I think the point he is trying to make is if an issue pops up with long distance medical travel, it is an expensive time consuming project to go back to your long distance doctor again.

It is a dilemma to decide if the cost of travel and re-travel are worth the price of a better experienced surgeon. Problems can happen anywhere but in the end, the travel to a highly experienced doctor in the end served him well. I did not go to Eid due to travel costs, wife not wanting to be in a big no-longer familiar city and insurance issues but found his advice deserving of respect and ultimately had good results with Dr. Kramer who concurred with Dr. Eid in my situation.

Ironic I read this after spending the last hour debating with myself traveling 2000 miles to UCSF for cancer surgery to try to prevent permanent disability by way of their less invasive method of surgery. Thanks for keeping this thread alive. Gives me more to think about. Surgery here for 1 more year but nolonger able to work in any form or 1 more year and possibility of still carrying on what I do a bit longer.....The considerations really do relate when your weenie is involved too........Then the issue, my left hand can't jack off as fast as the right. Oh my, that does make it tough whether to do it all! Cheers.
LGX 21cm .Milam 01/13/16. Horror; both service and surgical outcome. hated infrapubic installation. Kramer revision 03/01/17. 22cm Titan +1.5cm extender. Those who think their opinion is the only one that matters are a danger to themselves and others.

alibaba

Postby alibaba » Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:17 pm

DO YOUR RESEARCH After reading this thread last night I stayed up and researched recent studies. The surgery every doctor so far recommended for my cancer does not prolong life, has increased chance of infections, other cancers and hospitalizations. Despite 4 doctors at 4 medical centers pushing me to have it, I cancelled the surgery this morning based on recent (last 3 years) Jama, Ntl Cancer Institute and other research studies involving several thousand patients.

Do your research boys. Just because your doctor recommends something, does not mean he is not stuck in 1938 mentality. Your dick, your life, you need to be in control at least to know if what the doctor wants to do is in your best interest to prevent a re-do. Cheers.
LGX 21cm .Milam 01/13/16. Horror; both service and surgical outcome. hated infrapubic installation. Kramer revision 03/01/17. 22cm Titan +1.5cm extender. Those who think their opinion is the only one that matters are a danger to themselves and others.

MT5400

Postby MT5400 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:31 pm

Amen brother! Good luck with your surgery! :D
Married 40 years. Prostate cancer: RL robotic prostatectomy; two months adjuvent radiation therapy early 2016
first implant: Titan; subsequent infection in two months; removal without replacement early 2017
implant revision: June 2018; AMS 700

David_R

Postby David_R » Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:36 pm

Yes, good luck, alibaba. We're with you, brother.

stubby

Postby stubby » Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:43 pm

flywheel: where in the midwest is Dr. Schomburg-Urologist?

stubby

Postby stubby » Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:48 pm

flyweed: where in the midwest is Dr. Schomburg-Urologist

alibaba

Postby alibaba » Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:01 pm

MT5400 wrote:Amen brother! Good luck with your surgery! :D

Thank you. I spent 1/2 hour on the phone with the nurse of one doctor who said everything I explained for the reason of cancellation made good sense and told me to print all the studies to bring along for the doctor to read. I fired the other doctor. If you are not comfortable with your doctor, if something sounds out of reason, if it will make your quality of life worse question it. If you doctor refuses to discuss it, explain it, or is insistent to do something that makes no sense, fire his ass and find another. I've had 22 surgeries in 9 years. 3 improved my quality of life. One of those was the last implant and I am grateful. One was a hernia repair by Dr. Mathew who now practices in the Carolinas. He is a master of masters if you ever need one plus as nice a guy as Dr. Kramer. That is why you do it. 5 were to prolong life and I guess they did. ''m still here. Some doctors lied. Promised 1 procedure and I wake up to find they did something else or find in records later the did something else. 14 had to be revised or made the quality of my life worse. I've cancelled 3 scheduled surgeries because they would have made the quality of my life worse. These same concepts can be applied to your dick implant. If you are not satisfied with your semi working sometimes maybe not 5.5" dick and the doctor says he will make it hard but skinnier or 1" shorter, will you be happy with a 4.5" dick? Is that a quality of life improvement? Isn't the whole reason to improve the quality of your life? 2 things I learned from the surgeries that had shitty outcomes. Either it was something I wanted done so bad for whatever reason, I would accept the first doctor who would do it like the first implant, or some doctors are fantastic salesmen. Good enough you do not question their sales pitch. The doctor I fired this morning is the latter. My wife jumped right on to let's do it after he sold his reason why. I followed. Then I talk to 2 people who have had the same surgery. 1 tells me how their life has been hell. The other tells me how life has also been hell and he says knowing what I do, he does not know how I will ever work again so from that I do research. All the studies say that surgery is no longer in favor yet 63% of all doctors still recommend it as first line treatment. It does not prolong life, and contributes to many hospitalizations and infections later on. DO YOUR RESEARCH. ASK QUESTIONS. TALK TO OTHER PATIENTS. READ SOME STUDIES. I read many studies before I found the new studies. Many told what I would like to hear but did not support the true outcome compared to patients I talked too. Almost like they were written by the salesmen doctors. Then I start finding JAMA articles and such about studies in the last 2 years that back up what the patients told me their experience was except those trials had 2-3000 patients. Seems to me I posted 2-3 years ago about being told one of the classes the doctor at the time said they were required to take was selling your surgery. I am not saying all is sales hype but let's face it, most dissatisfied people think they were sold a better product. The doctors with the best reputation provide the service they sell. Too many of the dick implant doctors trained when dick implants were rigid rods and still in the same mind set about erosion and infection. Techniques and products have improved. Are you sure the doctor you are seeing did not learn from a 60 year old surgeon training old ideas in 1978 and those old methods and ideas are still their mindset of the way to do your implant in 2018? Think about it. Cheers men. Men in the quest to become boys again.

alibaba

Postby alibaba » Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:11 pm

David_R wrote:Yes, good luck, alibaba. We're with you, brother.

Thank you sir. Cheers.

Return to “Implants”