Overcoming Trouble getting "Back in the Groove"

The final frontier. Deciding when, if and how.
Lost Sheep

Overcoming Trouble getting "Back in the Groove"

Postby Lost Sheep » Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:53 pm

How many of you found (post-implant) getting "back in the saddle" to be difficult?

Over the years of erectile dysfunction and ultimately. virtually complete impotence, I became eventually accustomed to not trying to have sex. Getting back in practice has proved difficult.

Years ago, when it dawned on me that I had trouble sustaining an erection, it troubled me. After a couple decades and further degradation, when knew I could not sustain a reliable erection, I began to accept the fact. Ultimately, this became the norm. I accepted this as unalterable and that was it. I adopted the serenity to accept the thing I could not change.

An implant changed that fact.

However, even though I can get and maintain a robust erection, my "new normal" is still not a garment I am comfortable wearing. I need to get used to the concept that I can have coitus again. Essentially, while my body is capable (though out of practice) my mind is still stuck in that "old normal".

Essentially I have a mental block and find myself cripplingly shy about initiating sex. (Ironically, years ago physical E.D. was thought to be primarily psychological, but my current S.D. - sexual dysfuntion - is certainly psychological.) That block is difficult to overcome, especially complicated with my current relationship's condition.

Part of it is because I don't want to screw up my good (currently bordering on platonic) relationship. My lack of confidence that I can satisfy her given our difficulty in finding positions we can manage (she has physical problems of her own) has interfered with the sexual aspect of our relationship.

If someone else had posted this question, I know what I would have replied. "You must communicate openly with your girl. Women are incredibly understanding and HUGELY invested in a good outcome. She is ON YOUR SIDE. Trust her."

But giving advice is easier than following my own.

Having composed this post, I am encouraged to put myself out there with her (or, perhaps more descriptively, to put myself in there with her).

But if any of you have words of encouragement or thoughts I have not had, I invite you to respond.

Thank you, my FrankTalk siblings.
Lost Sheep
AMS LGX 18+3 Nov 6, 2017
Prostate Cancer 2023
READ OLD THREADS-ask better questions -better understand answers
Be part of your medical team
Document pre-op size-photos and written records
Pre-op VED therapy helps. Post-op is another matter

Jawalt

Re: Overcoming Trouble getting "Back in the Groove"

Postby Jawalt » Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:13 pm

Lost,
I have a wife of nearly 60 years and we talk all the time about most things. She was with me throughout the implant procedures. And yet, I find it incredibly difficult to approach her about sex now. We also have some physical problems but we know we can work our way through those problems. All this good stuff and I still find it difficult to initiate things. So don't think you are alone in your problem. Being unable to perform for so many years just messes with your head, I guess. Only advice I have is for me as much as for you. That is to just keep on keeping on!
Implanted Dec 2016 by Dr. Morey, UTSW Dallas. AMS 700. BPH caused problems so Supra Pubic Catheter and Urolift Prostate implants. End results great. Botched implant by Dr. in Waco, TX 2006. After 10 years, went to Dr. Morey who made me whole.

dg_moore

Postby dg_moore » Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:57 pm

Unfortunately, there are stories that don't have happy endings.
Dave, 80, Maryland - Implant (Titan) 2008 by Dr. Andrew Kramer (failed Sept 2020) - never used due to a stroke that, among other things, ended my sex life.
Life is not the way it's supposed to be, it's the way it is.

Larry10625

Postby Larry10625 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:01 pm

Lost Sheep wrote:How many of you found (post-implant) getting "back in the saddle" to be difficult?

Over the years of erectile dysfunction and ultimately. virtually complete impotence, I became eventually accustomed to not trying to have sex. Getting back in practice has proved difficult.

Years ago, when it dawned on me that I had trouble sustaining an erection, it troubled me. After a couple decades and further degradation, when knew I could not sustain a reliable erection, I began to accept the fact. Ultimately, this became the norm. I accepted this as unalterable and that was it. I adopted the serenity to accept the thing I could not change.

An implant changed that fact.

However, even though I can get and maintain a robust erection, my "new normal" is still not a garment I am comfortable wearing. I need to get used to the concept that I can have coitus again. Essentially, while my body is capable (though out of practice) my mind is still stuck in that "old normal".

Essentially I have a mental block and find myself cripplingly shy about initiating sex. (Ironically, years ago physical E.D. was thought to be primarily psychological, but my current S.D. - sexual dysfuntion - is certainly psychological.) That block is difficult to overcome, especially complicated with my current relationship's condition.

Part of it is because I don't want to screw up my good (currently bordering on platonic) relationship. My lack of confidence that I can satisfy her given our difficulty in finding positions we can manage (she has physical problems of her own) has interfered with the sexual aspect of our relationship.

If someone else had posted this question, I know what I would have replied. "You must communicate openly with your girl. Women are incredibly understanding and HUGELY invested in a good outcome. She is ON YOUR SIDE. Trust her."

But giving advice is easier than following my own.

Having composed this post, I am encouraged to put myself out there with her (or, perhaps more descriptively, to put myself in there with her).

But if any of you have words of encouragement or thoughts I have not had, I invite you to respond.

Thank you, my FrankTalk siblings.

She is waiting for you. When you told her you were having surgery, she didn't object, did she? No... She is waiting for you to make love to her again. Start with passionate kissing and it will all come back to you like riding a bike. Good luck. :)

Larry

David_Webb

Postby David_Webb » Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:15 pm

Your head seems to be in the right place and your self reflection is probably going to be the best path to regaining the confidence you feel is missing.

My only thought was to encourage you to be positive with yourself and look at the strength and courage you had to become bionic. I think learning to be intimate and open again after the long battle with ED is normal and you aren’t alone.

Keep open communication with your partner, and yourself about what your goals are for the future.

Good luck!
New Hampshire, 42, Diagnosed with ED early 20’s. VL Left side, Implanted 7-9-18, Dr. Gross, Titan OTR, 22cm +1 RTE, Penoscrotal.

alibaba

Postby alibaba » Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:28 pm

My wife is 67. We were wild to try the first implant which was a failure. By the time the second one came around it was hard to get her interested. Now with me declared terminal it ads another factor making it harder (she starts crying all the time). All I can say is love her and keep working at it. Pump it up and give her a hug, show her some wild side. Cheers buddy.
LGX 21cm .Milam 01/13/16. Horror; both service and surgical outcome. hated infrapubic installation. Kramer revision 03/01/17. 22cm Titan +1.5cm extender. Those who think their opinion is the only one that matters are a danger to themselves and others.

ED2013

Postby ED2013 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:34 pm

Shit, have a couple drinks and go for it !!!!

Return to “Implants”