Prostate surgery after penile implant?

The final frontier. Deciding when, if and how.
Jawalt

Prostate surgery after penile implant?

Postby Jawalt » Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:29 pm

I have had my implant over 18 months and everything related to that implant is perfect. My problem however, is my swollen prostate has worsened and PSA is over 10. Much history in my family of prostate cancer so it is a real probability. My question to my implant brothers, has anyone had prostate removal surgery after being implanted? I have tried to research this matter but everything I find is related to getting an implant (after) prostate surgery. Any actual experience would be appreciated as would any references to this matter. Thank you in advance.
Implanted Dec 2016 by Dr. Morey, UTSW Dallas. AMS 700. BPH caused problems so Supra Pubic Catheter and Urolift Prostate implants. End results great. Botched implant by Dr. in Waco, TX 2006. After 10 years, went to Dr. Morey who made me whole.

TANGERINE

Re: Prostate surgery after penile implant?

Postby TANGERINE » Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:48 pm

ok good news....it is totally fine to have prostate surgery after implant.

I also had this issue (my PSA went to 6, but then it went to 4, so I am sitting tight and doing nothing) , but I did call my implant surgeon immediately to get his advice.

Here is what my implant surgeon said:

1) it is totally fine to have prostate biopsy and prostate MRI with your implant.
2) if you need your prostate removed, you need to find a prostate surgeon who "is really good at operating the robot" because there is a chance that the reservoir for your implant (which sits next to your bladder) will get damaged by the robot. His opinion is that as long as your prostate surgeon knows exactly where the reservoir for you is situated, then likely you can have the prostate surgery and your implant will be just fine
3) In the event that the reservoir is damaged, then my implant surgeon stated: "that is not a big deal, we can just swap out your implant for a new one"

So, there you go, this is no big deal.

Here is what I suggest you do: definitely call and make an appointment with your implant surgeon (assuming you like that doc) and discuss the details of all this.

Do keep us all posted regarding how this plays out. I have seen others on this board who also had prostate removal AFTER implant and they did fine. You should also know that I was comforted to know that I had the implant first (assuming I might one day have prostate out) since there will be no penile length loss (since I already have my cylinders in place). Penile length loss is a problem of prostate surgery I hear (that is why there is this elaborate penile rehabilitation program after surgery) -- but, with the implant, you are covered and you do not need to fear length loss or erectile dysfunction complications of prostate surgery --- so, you are in a very good place since your bases are covered already by the implant.
"Strive to find the best surgeon--experience really matters"
(63 yo, Titan 22cm implant Feb 2017 by Dr Eid) I'm super pleased with my length/girth/implant performance. See my story at "The road to becoming a bionic male: Answers ..."

Jawalt

Postby Jawalt » Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:32 pm

Tangerine,
Thanks so much for the very informative response. I have been in touch with my implant urologist's office and am in fact waiting for a retest of psa about September 1, 2018. Next move will depend on that psa count. If it goes up, things will start happening and if it goes down, we will hold off a while. The retest decision was made between my urologist and my family doctor and the info was relayed to me. That is why I had no opportunity to discuss my worries with my implant guy. With your info I will be much more comfortable while waiting for the retest results. Thanks again for the response.
Implanted Dec 2016 by Dr. Morey, UTSW Dallas. AMS 700. BPH caused problems so Supra Pubic Catheter and Urolift Prostate implants. End results great. Botched implant by Dr. in Waco, TX 2006. After 10 years, went to Dr. Morey who made me whole.

oldbeek

Postby oldbeek » Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:36 am

Anyone ever tell you not to have an orgazim 72 hrs prior to PSA test? Me neither. Sex before PSA test will raise your psa number.
82, good health, RP 7-2017, all nerves taken , PSA 0.05, 4-18,, .07 1/19,.05 4/19, .03 11-21, .04 11-23, implanted 4-1-18, Infra-pubic, AMS lgx 15 cm with 5cm rte. Implant at USC Keck. Dr Boyd and Dr Loh Doyle 6.5 x 5, 800 AUS 7-21-20

Jawalt

Postby Jawalt » Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:22 am

oldbeek,
I was aware of the 72 hour cutoff. Unfortunately this last test sneaked up on me and I had no time to prepare. I have previously used a one week program prior to PSA tests. All the sex I could handle for 4 days (to flush things out); then abstain for last three days before the test. It always seemed to lower my test score by a few tenths. You can bet, I'll use the procedure before the September test.

radioradio

Postby radioradio » Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:53 am

Before I was diagnosed with PCa I was already on this site and doing research into implants. When I was diagnosed, I emailed Dr. Eid to ask this very same question and he replied that a good surgeon should have no problem working around the implant.
Bob
Born '52. Married '79. RALP 3/1/17. ED 50+% prior to surgery even w/ meds. VED, Injections, ineffective. Considering implant even before PCa diagnosis. Dr. Kramer 8/2/17. LGX 21cm+0.5 RTE. Kramer replaced/repositioned pump 12/13/17. Willing to Show/Tell.

MARKOS2018

Postby MARKOS2018 » Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:27 am

Hey

Great question and answers here for us with an implant and not yet had the dreaded prostate cancer. My doctor EID also Tangerine; so good to hear your detailed account from him since i trust his explanation. Reservoir seems like no problem to find either for any good surgeon and don't have to worry about loss. :o

Im on Testosterone Therapy and my PSA rose slightly. It"s just a watch and wait and hope that we don't have to go through with another surgery.

Mike
Titan implanted by Dr Eid Due to Peyronies, Implant was the only option for me.

alibaba

Postby alibaba » Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:11 pm

there was someone here before who had a prostatectomy after an implant and his result was great. I also read on another forum about a doctor who does implants at the same time as a prostatectomy. Both with good results. Most of us with RRP or RPP end up wasting years from some damn fool doctor selling us fixalls that do not work leaving us with further damage and shrinkage. You are WELL ahead of the game. Best luck on a fabulous outcome. Keep us posted.
LGX 21cm .Milam 01/13/16. Horror; both service and surgical outcome. hated infrapubic installation. Kramer revision 03/01/17. 22cm Titan +1.5cm extender. Those who think their opinion is the only one that matters are a danger to themselves and others.

Jawalt

Postby Jawalt » Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:53 pm

Ali et al;
Good info for all of us that seem to be waiting or "watchful waiting" as the case may be. Your info and my other research seems to bear out that all will be well as long as one has a good surgeon. Now I'm just waiting and not 'worrying and waiting". Thanks again for the helpful responses.

Return to “Implants”