I'm Bionic! Quincy's journal. Before and after pics added.

The final frontier. Deciding when, if and how.
Quincy

I'm Bionic! Quincy's journal. Before and after pics added.

Postby Quincy » Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:53 pm

I was implanted at 10 am today. Doing fine. Some achiness, but the hospital's recreational drugs are working. :) I'm going to call this day zero, so each numbered day from here will be how long after surgery day.

I'm 66. ED from diabetes and PCa radiation. Don't know if we need yet another journal, but I'll at least start this and see if there is interest. Many friends here want to know how I'm doing, so here it is.

My doctor is Edward Karpman in Silicon Valley. I like him a lot and chose him for his reputation and because he knows, talks, and does all the most important things to me. If you'd like to know more about him or my choosing him, send me a PM.

Pre-op was yesterday. I didn't know what was involved in a pre-op, so I'll describe mine in case others want to know. Short and easy. Met with doc to go over everything, including medical history, medications, expectations, schedule, etc. He stretched me out and showed me how big I'll be and how I can grow with strong effort on cycling. My guess is that I'll be about 5" after healing and close to 6" after a year of cycling. I was told not to eat or drink ANYTHING after midnight. It was a good time to ask any last questions.

Checked in today at 8. Filling forms, signatures, etc. Got into one of those great gowns that leave your butt exposed. They put in an IV with a strong antibiotic, and wheeled me up to get ready for surgery. It took about 2 hours to do all the preliminary stuff.

In pre-surgerIy, I talked briefly with doc, and then my wife was told to go to the waiting room. I was just laying there for a while wondering if I really was doing this. Not scared, but having one last bout of anxiety about what was about to happen to my dick.

The anesthesiologist gave me a "relaxer" drug through the IV, and I was out. He said he'd put an oxygen mask on me in the OR and I'd fall asleep there, but I didn't make it that far. I know nothing of what happened next. I'm sure they shaved me, but I missed it. I'm sure they tortured my dick, but I missed that, too, fortunately! Woke up in recovery and was done, From getting knocked out to waking up was about 2 hours. I was kind of loopy for a while, but that passed.

It took me a while to get used to the idea that I'd really done it. My old dick and natural erections are history. I'm a little apprehensive about that and about how my new dick will function, but it's too late to change now. Did I really do this??? Yep, I did.

After a little while they moved me to a private room and my wife rejoined me. Pain is manageable, mainly just achiness. They gave me a Vicodin while I was in post-op recovery. At that time, the pain was about a 4 on the 10 scale. Now it's a 2.

I'm wearing a jockstrap with a hole cut in the middle for my dick to point out. They said the jock supports the boys and the pump, while the hole lets the dick point straight out. Dick is heavily bandaged and wrapped with that stretchy Coban wrap.

I have a drain that they check and empty once in a while. A fair amount of blood/fluids comes out. There's a Foley catheter with a bag so I don't need to get up to pee. My blood pressure cuff pumps up for a check every 10 minutes or so. They said it will continue these frequent checks for 2 hours, which will be a half hour from now. I still have the IV and they continue to mainline antibiotics.

I've been told to breath as deep as possible about 5-6 times an hour to help prevent pneumonia. At first this was hard, as expected. They had a respirator tube down my throat during surgery.

The doc apparently talked with me after the surgery, but I don't remember. He also talked with my wife and I'd asked her to write down some specific things he said. My implant appears to be an AMS 700 LGX, with 18cm cylinders and 3cm of RTE. I'll know for sure tomorrow when I can ask him directly.

Everything seems to be going great. Nurses here are friendly and attentive. For those who want to know, my first nurse was a hot youngish blonde woman. After a recent shift change my new nurse is a young, good looking(?) male. So you could swing either way and be happy here. Good staff across the board. They fed me a very good vegetarian lasagna for lunch, and I've made my sections for dinner and tomorrow.

I'm just living the dream. We'll see how I feel once the meds wear off. My wife and I are already planning some romantic evenings, although we've decided to have some test runs and make sure everything is stable before getting deeply into creating special moments. Still, I think the first real sex in 2 decades will be special all by itself.

Again, thank you to all of you, bionic and not, who have been so great here. Knowledge, support, and friendship are unparalleled here.

I'm obviously feeling pretty good to write all this just 4 hours post surgery. I'll update again when appropriate if anyone is interested.

Best wishes to all of you.

Quincy.
Last edited by Quincy on Fri Oct 04, 2019 7:37 pm, edited 7 times in total.
71, Boise area, Married
ED from type 2 diabetes and PCa radiation.
AMS LGX surgery 6/5/18 with Edward Karpman in Silicon Valley, 18cm+3RTE

Lester33

Re: I'm Bionic! Quincy's journal.

Postby Lester33 » Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:00 pm

Quincy,
Glad you are doing well and for your posting, I'm right behind you 6/22/18. :D
IPP on 6/22/2018 by Dr. Perito, Miami, FL.
22cm Coloplast Titan, 2 RTE
Testosterone therapy
Cancer free seven years, married fifty years, wonderful sex life

Quincy

Postby Quincy » Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:22 pm

Thanks Lester, and best wishes for your own journey. If you ever want to talk in more detail, send me a PM. I'm happy to respond there or to send you my phone number.

Quincy
71, Boise area, Married

stubby

Postby stubby » Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:36 pm

Wishing you the best!!

David_R

Postby David_R » Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:09 pm

I am so happy for you, Quincy!

hryqwert

Postby hryqwert » Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:28 pm

Great to hear everything went well and you are recovering nicely. Keep us informed and get plenty of rest. See you in chat soon! JJ
JJ ;)

radioradio

Postby radioradio » Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:43 pm

Quincy,
Glad everything went so well and that you’re able to post such a cogent report so soon after your surgery. I’m sure I couldn’t have done that.
Congratulations on joining the club. It was quite a decision, and I’m sure you will be extremely happy you made it.
All the best,
Bob
Born '52. Married '79. RALP 3/1/17. ED 50+% prior to surgery even w/ meds. VED, Injections, ineffective. Considering implant even before PCa diagnosis. Dr. Kramer 8/2/17. LGX 21cm+0.5 RTE. Kramer replaced/repositioned pump 12/13/17. Willing to Show/Tell.

Quincy

Postby Quincy » Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:38 pm

8 hours post surgery now.

Thanks, everyone for your support.

The pain level is tolerable, and I'm not taking the opioid meds. Worst pain has been stomach cramps from constipation, and those meds would only make that worse. Just got dose of Tylenol to see if that will help.

The pain I'm feeling is a strong achiness, in both penis and balls. The penis ache would be from the trauma. Nuts probably ache because they are being squeezed so tight by the jock. I'd guess the tightness is to keep the swelling down until I can ice.

I may be in enough pain to not be able to sleep. If so, I'll get some kind of med. Would prefer, as I said, to stay off the opioids. I'll post the result tomorrow.

I've been eating ever since returning to recovery. They didn't make me wait at all. Pretty good food for a hospital. The downside is extra pressure on my stomach when I already have constipation. So I finally had one more new experience - using a bedpan in a hospital bed. Not one I recommend. Embarrassing, especially being cleaned up afterward. Oh well. I'm moving toward second childhood anyway, just got a head start.

From a process and pain standpoint, my experience is fine. Wouldn't have kept me from making this decision. It's temporary and tolerable. My advice to others would be not to let the possible pain be a decision maker.

My best to all. I'll check in tomorrow.

Quincy.
Last edited by Quincy on Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
71, Boise area, Married

Larry10625

Postby Larry10625 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:22 am

Quincy wrote:8 hours post surgery now.

Thanks, everyone for your support.

The pain level is tolerable, and I'm not taking the opioid meds. Worst pain has been stomach cramps from constipation, and those meds would only make that worse. Just got does of Tylenol to see if that will help.

The pain I'm feeling is a strong achiness, in both penis and balls. The penis ache would be from the trauma. Nuts probably ache because they are being squeezed so tight by the jock. I'd guess the tightness is to keep the swelling down until I can ice.

I may be in enough pain to not be able to sleep. If so, I'll get some kind of med. Would prefer, as I said, to stay off the opioids. I'll post the result tomorrow.

I've been eating ever since returning to recovery. They didn't make me wait at all. Pretty good food for a hospital. The downside is extra pressure on my stomach when I already have constipation. So I finally had one more new experience - using a bedpan in a hospital bed. Not one I recommend. Embarrassing, especially being cleaned up afterward. Oh well. I'm moving toward second childhood anyway, just got a head start.

From a process and pain standpoint, my experience is fine. Wouldn't have kept me from making this decision. It's temporary and tolerable. My advice to others would be not to let the possible pain be a decision maker.

My best to all. I'll check in tomorrow.

Quincy.

Congratulations Quincy, welcomed to our bionic brotherhood. Heal well my friend. :)

Larry

Greg1956

Postby Greg1956 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:04 am

Congratulations on being on the other side now. I know you are aprehensive about how your dick will function, but the point is it WILL function.

Greg
I am 64 and had ED from a VL. Implanted by Dr. Ronald Anglade in Atlanta on 9/18/17. I have an AMS700LGX 21 cm via a Penoscrotal incision. Very happy with results. 6" soft and 6 3/4” x 5 5/8” hard.

Return to “Implants”