time to pick a doc

The final frontier. Deciding when, if and how.
Larry10625

Re: time to pick a doc

Postby Larry10625 » Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:53 pm

tomas1 wrote:I believe I know the answer to my question but I'll throw it out there anyhow.
My urologist in Phoenix would be very convenient if and probably when, I opt for an implant.

He actually suggested an implant the first time I saw him to get started on injections.

On FT I saw one member who had been implanted by him and he nearly died from septic shock. I think that's what the infection was called?

Anyhow, he had to spend time in the hospital and even had a line going directly to his heart for some reason.
He was self insured and the experience nearly (or maybe did) bankrupt him.

His was the only experience I'm aware of from my doc, and I guess I have already answered my question of whether to use him for the surgery.

If I knew he was the 1% unfortunate one, it would be easier to accept, but I don't like the small sample size.

Even the Super Stars of Frank Talk have their horror stories. My first implant I went into septic shock... my second time everything was fantastic. Don't judge what might be a good doctor by one bad outcome. :)

Larry

merrix

Postby merrix » Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:33 pm

Tomas,

First advice: When asking for advice on picking your surgeon, don’t take any from someone who says he doesn’t care if people use a veterinarian to do their implant. Quite obvious.

My advice is this, and remember it is just my advice:
The top docs publish data on their infection rates. I used Eid and I think his ratio was around 0.4% at that time. This is on all his thousands of surgeries.
I am sure the other top docs are roughly in the same range.
Knowing there are docs out there who give you a one in 250 chance of infection, why then pick one who based on your available data has infected one of one, I.e. 100% infection rate in your available population data?
There is a scientific paper I have linked to in the past which presents overall infection rates on implants. I don’t remember the exact number but I think it was around 2-3%. That is one in 40.
Assuming this doc is average, you would have 6 times higher risk of infection than if going with Eid or somebody equal. If this doc is below average you will have 10 times the risk of infection compared to one of the top docs.
Why increase the infection risk ten times if you can avoid it?

My advice is that you should pick the absolutely best doc you can access and afford.

Good luck.
43 yo, ED forever from VL
Fit and active
Implanted December 2015
Titan XL 24 cm, no RTEs
Dr. Eid
Activated day 13
Sex after 3 weeks
Gained length and girth
So far It works perfectly
Only one advice: Find a world class surgeon

alibaba

Postby alibaba » Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:31 pm

Any sausage grinder can grind sausage but you do not want to end up being in the million pound recall. As Merrix said, statistics speak volumes. The sad part is very very few of the anointed implanters have published statistics. Many do so few implants the numbers really would not mean much anyway.
LGX 21cm .Milam 01/13/16. Horror; both service and surgical outcome. hated infrapubic installation. Kramer revision 03/01/17. 22cm Titan +1.5cm extender. Those who think their opinion is the only one that matters are a danger to themselves and others.

oldbeek

Postby oldbeek » Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:44 am

Read post started April 29, 2018... Who and where are the good implant surgeons. Thread on Franktalk. 3 pages of answers. Good hunting.
82, good health, RP 7-2017, all nerves taken , PSA 0.05, 4-18,, .07 1/19,.05 4/19, .03 11-21, .04 11-23, implanted 4-1-18, Infra-pubic, AMS lgx 15 cm with 5cm rte. Implant at USC Keck. Dr Boyd and Dr Loh Doyle 6.5 x 5, 800 AUS 7-21-20

Donnie1954

Postby Donnie1954 » Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:29 am

When I decided which implant surgeon to use, several factors concerned me.
1. How confident and experienced they were.
Loss of length was important to me as it is to all brothers. My Dr. assured me I would lose absolutely no length. I didn't.
2. Proximity - I wanted a Dr. I would have immediate access to if I had any concerns.
3. I wanted a Dr. that would take his time operating on my most valuable possession. My dick. 20 minute procedures didn't impress me. Slow and steady. Less chance of errors, such as undersizing, twisted tubing, or fucked up pump placement. Things many other brothers experienced.
4. Finances were a major concern. I couldn't afford traveling across the country. Especially if there was a problem. I refused to see a surgeon who hadn't operated on me.
5. Complete confidence in my surgeon.
Good luck on your quest.
donnie1954@mail.com
Implant AMS 700 CX, MS (18cm x 12mm with 5.5cm RTEs) on 10\4\16. 64 Dr. Edward Kata of Orlando. Awesome surgeon. Check out, 'DD Bryan. My implant journey, Wit and Wisdom, Stretching routine, Implant Pics, Natural Hang. Live in Ga.

ED2013

Postby ED2013 » Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:13 pm

Donnie’s point #1 is very important imo. If your doctor says you will lose size, run! A competent surgeon should be able to size you properly. There are exceptions of course such as scarring and or peyronies.

Return to “Implants”