Trimix labelled expiration dates

Sticking a needle Where? Courage, guidance and help.
newbie1

Trimix labelled expiration dates

Postby newbie1 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:23 am

Because of supply issues I have been getting trimix from different compounding pharmacies.
I noticed pharmacies label their expiration dates all differently:
1 labelled 30 days
1 labelled 60 days
1 labelled 90 days
1 labelled 45 days

Any explanation for why different pharmacies have different expiration dates for the trimix?
ED many years, failed PDE5i, on Trimix but recently needing large increasing strengths and doses

antelope

Re: Trimix labelled expiration dates

Postby antelope » Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:50 am

If this was a matter of different urologists, I'd suggest they may be writing lightly different scripts. Assuming that's not the case, my guess is that each pharmacy is subscribing to a different CYAWPW scheme. That's not necessarily a bad thing; different states have different pharmacy boards and therefore different rules. My Happy Juice had a 6 month expiration date for the first 4 or 5 years and then all of a sudden it went to 90 days. I asked the pharmacist and he suggested it was a change in rules. Since I trust him to make the right medicine for my most important body part AND since he is also a Trimix user, I have no reason to suspect anything else. I would add that each refill lasts me right at 90 days, so the 90 day expiry date is not an issue. If it was 30 or 60 days, we'd have to have a chat.

Here's to hard times.

G-Man
Born 1948, wed 1969. BPH & Type II Diabetes at age 35. TURP-2002; ED even before that--diabetes. Cardiac valve surgery: 2007 & 2019. Poor results with pills. Started trimix injections in Nov, 2010. Great results from the very beginning.

antelope

Postby antelope » Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:51 am

If this was a matter of different urologists, I'd suggest they may be writing lightly different scripts. Assuming that's not the case, my guess is that each pharmacy is subscribing to a different CYAWPW scheme. That's not necessarily a bad thing; different states have different pharmacy boards and therefore different rules. My Happy Juice had a 6 month expiration date for the first 4 or 5 years and then all of a sudden it went to 90 days. I asked the pharmacist and he suggested it was a change in rules. Since I trust him to make the right medicine for my most important body part AND since he is also a Trimix user, I have no reason to suspect anything else. I would add that each refill lasts me right at 90 days, so the 90 day expiry date is not an issue. If it was 30 or 60 days, we'd have to have a chat.

Here's to hard times.

G-Man
Born 1948, wed 1969. BPH & Type II Diabetes at age 35. TURP-2002; ED even before that--diabetes. Cardiac valve surgery: 2007 & 2019. Poor results with pills. Started trimix injections in Nov, 2010. Great results from the very beginning.

once a writer

Postby once a writer » Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:36 am

There are numerous posts on this site from guys who have found their trimix-mix prescriptions still potent way, way past 90 days. In most cases, these are guys who keep their vials frozen except for brief thawing to fill syringes.
Eugene, Oregon, USA. Born 1941. Married 1968. ED since mid-1990s. Began trimix January 2014. Dosage gradually increased over time. Added cock ring in 2016. After dosage reached 30 units, switched to quad mix in May 2018. On blood pressure meds.

wgs743

Postby wgs743 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:32 pm

I got my last refill in ten 1ml vials almost 6 months ago. I keep them in a freezer and take out current one long enough to warm and fill a syringe. Two vials left and working fine. Pharmacy label says good for 30 days when just refrigerated, but Uro says at least 180 if frozen.

newtoed

Postby newtoed » Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:49 pm

I have been keeping my Trimix frozen for over 6 months now and just take it out to fill syringes. At 4 units a shot this will last me way beyond a year and so far have not noticed any deterioration. I will probably get a new proscription at 1 year unless I notice problems.
As tough and inconvenient injections are, it's still amazing that most of us can enjoy the babefits for so long and relatively cheap.
All the best!
Age 54, Single, Los Angeles. Stage 2 rectal cancer in 2013. Radiation, surgery, chemo. In remission for 5 years. Some ED before cancer, complete since. 2-3 units of Trimix 40/30/2 2-3 times a week since Feb/2017 with great success!

Cigar56

Postby Cigar56 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 2:37 pm

newbie1 wrote:Because of supply issues I have been getting trimix from different compounding pharmacies.
I noticed pharmacies label their expiration dates all differently:
1 labelled 30 days
1 labelled 60 days
1 labelled 90 days
1 labelled 45 days

Any explanation for why different pharmacies have different expiration dates for the trimix?

Usually this is an instance of state regulatory laws. I forget whether it was 45 days or 60 days, but on my first Trimix prescription in Florida the clerk pointed out the expiration date and said by state law they had to list 45 days (or maybe it was 60) as the expiration date for the drug.

The clerk told me to disregard that and said the drug could last 6 months to a year depending on how it was stored.

So my guess is that regulatory laws for all compounding drugs are leading to the information you read on the drug labels depending on your state. I will admit that my assumption does not hold up if you are using pharmacies in the same state and getting different expiration dates. if that's the case it may be that pharmacy guidelines are affecting the listed expiration dates. Sometimes pharmacies want to protect themselves from customers who complain that their drug suddenly stopped working.

Also, in my case the clerk said that even as the drug does expire it's not all or nothing. She said its potency would diminish over time as the drug starts to fail after 6 months or a year (if stored properly) but that it could be used indefinitely as long as it still works for you.
I've tried everything -- pills, injections pumps -- and now I am at the final frontier.

rahod1

Postby rahod1 » Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:04 am

All this would be a *non issue* if you kept it frozen all the time...thawing as needed then freezing again.
I've used frozen trimix (thawed numerous times for use) for at least NINE MONTHS with no degradation of potency.

Pabowhunter

Postby Pabowhunter » Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:48 am

My Trimix label reads: Compounded on 7/20/2017 use by 11/16/2017 DAMN NEAR 120 DAYS???
Instructions for storage are : Refrigerate (Do not freeze) I asked Pharmacist about freezing and was told this and I " Technically, no but you can but I don't suggest it"
I picked up the medication on 9/12 .... So basically medication was already 52 days out when I took possession of it... Doesn't seem fair for pharmacy to sell me a medication that basically has 1/2 it's shelf life used up at time of possession.. If indeed it would last almost 4 months just refrigerated (Which I doubt ) that seems like a stretch without loosing potency.... It's not the cheapest place I've found either 85.00 for 5ml but it's the pharmacy my Urologist uses .. I've asked before in a post I started , but anyone else ever take possession of there Tri-Mix and it's already 1/2 past it's shelf life ? Also seems like the majority of pharmacy have a 60 day refrigerated shelf life as a norm and if that's the case, hell mine was all but expired the day I got it...

I kind of feel cheated it's like a dealership selling you a brand new truck only to find out it's got 10K miles on it ..

Would I be out of line to complain or at least express my concern to pharmacy about this?
Is this considered acceptable ?

My main concern is that I'm new and I mean real new to injections 4 total on my own and the 10 units of my "Watery " starter mix of 5.88/18/0.6 that my Urologist prescribed seems to work perfectly for me and I want to try and avoid not being able to rely on that dosage due to loss of potency because of shelf life..

I am not a complainer by no means just want to be treated fairly is all not looking to be a pain in the ass customer ! So what u guys think ? I've got advice from 1 member already to freeze and be done with it..
Other Known Alias : Frankenpecker
Developed ED @ 42 years young.. Diagnosis: "Non Organic..." Urologist Prescribed Trimix 9/14/17 Still trying to work out the bugs, but it's been a life changer!!!

Larry10625

Postby Larry10625 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:39 am

antelope wrote:If this was a matter of different urologists, I'd suggest they may be writing lightly different scripts. Assuming that's not the case, my guess is that each pharmacy is subscribing to a different CYAWPW scheme. That's not necessarily a bad thing; different states have different pharmacy boards and therefore different rules. My Happy Juice had a 6 month expiration date for the first 4 or 5 years and then all of a sudden it went to 90 days. I asked the pharmacist and he suggested it was a change in rules. Since I trust him to make the right medicine for my most important body part AND since he is also a Trimix user, I have no reason to suspect anything else. I would add that each refill lasts me right at 90 days, so the 90 day expiry date is not an issue. If it was 30 or 60 days, we'd have to have a chat.

Here's to hard times.

G-Man

Either what antelope said or different Best Before dates (ya know, like milk). And with the tri mix each drug may have different best before dates, and maybe shit happens when one is combined with the other... :)....... things that make you go "huummmmmmmmmm"

Larry

Return to “Injections”