Questions on freezing TriMix

Sticking a needle Where? Courage, guidance and help.
newbie1

Questions on freezing TriMix

Postby newbie1 » Tue Dec 09, 2014 3:34 pm

I know there is no study done but based on your own experience:
1. How long have you kept TriMix frozen and still remains same effectiveness?
2. After freezing TriMix, then thawing it out, how long would it be effective afterwards in the fridge?
3. How many times after freezing TriMix, thawing it and re-freezing it again, and repeating this sequence, would it still be effective?
Thanks
NB
ED many years, failed PDE5i, on Trimix but recently needing large increasing strengths and doses

Bluewhippet

Re: Questions on freezing TriMix

Postby Bluewhippet » Wed Dec 10, 2014 4:35 am

There has been a scientific survey which I reported to Franktalk back in May 2013. This is what I posted:
"There have been lots of posts concerning the life and effectiveness of the 3 main injection therapies - Bimix, Trimix and Alprostadil (PGE-1, Caverject and Edex) used by itself. I thought that I would do some research and see if this has been scientifically tested. I eventually came across a peer reviewed study by the Division of Pharmacy at the University of Texas. (http://www.stabilis.org/FichesBiblio/1899-recherche)
This was a comprehensive study and, in summary, the principal findings were as follows:

Bimix, Trimix and Alprostadil can be frozen at -20degC for 6 months and then thawed to room temperature (23degC) with no loss greater than 5% of any of the drugs. They tested up to 4 freeze/thaw cycles with no adverse effects.

The least stable component of Trimix is Alprostadil (the only drug in Caverject and Edex) loses about 12.5% of its concentration at room temperature (23degC) after 7 days and 44% after one month. However, at normal domestic refrigerator temperature (4degC) there is only a 2% loss after 7 days and less than 6% after one month. Even better, if stored in a freezer at -20degC the loss was less than 3% after 6 months."

The figures for the other components of Trimix and the sole components of Bimix are 7 days at room temperature no significant degradation, the same as in a refrigerator or frozen. After 6 months frozen at -20DegC the loss was less than 5%.

So it would appear that those using Trimix could, when travelling, leave it unrefrigerated for 24 hours with, at worst, only a minor degradation in one component (Alprostadil). Clearly the temperature to which it is exposed is important and left in a hot car when parked it could be much more than 23degC and this might degrade the Alprostadil much faster.

This explains why many Franktalk members have found their Trimix to be only slightly less effective after even 12 months in a fridge (probably a small loss of Alprostadil). Bimix remains stable for long periods even at room temperature.

Finally, of course, it is always important that the contents of a vial remains sterile. If storing injection compounds for extended periods freezing will inhibit any bacteria growth and from the study it would appear that this is not harmful to the product even if frozen/thawed and refrozen up to 4 times."

So put simply - frozen it will remain fully effective for at least 6 months - 4 freeze/unfreeze cycles do not have adverse effects - in the fridge it will not have lost much effectiveness after a month. Simple solution is to transfer solution to single use syringes and freeze (leave a small airgap because it expands when you freeze) and take out a syringe and defrost when you need to use it.
80 year old Type2 diabetic, long term ED, pills then injections PGE1. After 4 years they became less effective. Implanted 20/3/2018 by NHS. AMS 700 CX 15+4 cm with MS pump. Never had any significant pain. Still working perfectly and used regularly.

rahod1

Postby rahod1 » Sat Aug 20, 2016 11:44 pm

I find freezing trimix is the ONLY way to go. If I leave it in the frig, I can tell reduction of potency within 3 weeks or so, albeit small.
I have used frozen trimix that has been around for months with ZERO reduction in potency. I simply take out the vial and let it sit
for 15 min to thaw. I then promptly put it back in the freezer. I have gone through multiple thaw and freeze cycles with no degradation. My suggestion>>> ALWAYS KEEP FROZEN if possible. I see no need to freeze in syringes, since it doesn't really save you that much time, but that would still be acceptable. I wouldn't store syringes in the frig for reason mentioned.

BigEyes

Postby BigEyes » Sun Aug 21, 2016 11:17 pm

Rahood

According to a Medline published study the PGE-1 part of Trimix (alprostadil) deteriorates at a rate of about 5-6% per month when refrigerated and much less with frozen. The deterioration of Papaverine and Phentolamine is negligable at room temp or refrigerated. If you notice a change in 3 weeks, you are extremely sensitive to the PGE-1.

Big
Doctor of Naturopathy (N.D.) and Herbalist. ED and occasional Anorgasmia from perineal surgery for rectal cancer Dec. 2012

once a writer

Postby once a writer » Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:59 am

I keep my 10 ml vial of trimix in the freezer. Take it out every week, thaw it and fill as many syringes as I expect to use that week. (The number depends upon such real-life variables as whether wife and I will both be home thru the week, whether one or the other of us is under the weather, etc.)

The filled syringes — typically three or four in a good week — I keep in the refrigerator, not the freezer.

My injection log shows that the most recently completed 10 ml vial was thawed and refrozen 22 times between mid-March and late July. I was injecting the same number of units at the end of that time span as at the beginning. There was no apparent loss of effectiveness.
Eugene, Oregon, USA. Born 1941. Married 1968. ED since mid-1990s. Began trimix January 2014. Dosage gradually increased over time. Added cock ring in 2016. After dosage reached 30 units, switched to quad mix in May 2018. On blood pressure meds.

NeedleD

Postby NeedleD » Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:50 pm

My compounder (Anazao) told me Trimix can stay stabilized for 1 year OR more if kept frozen.
Use Super Quadmix due to severe Venous leak.Have a GREAT DAY!

Daddymac99

Postby Daddymac99 » Mon Jan 02, 2017 1:15 pm

I've read several post from members that freeze preloaded syringes. I was wondering what you keep them in when you store them in your freezer. I've seen a few cases listed on Amazon and was wondering if anyone has any recommendations.
Thanks, David

Donnie1954

Postby Donnie1954 » Mon Jan 02, 2017 3:32 pm

My tri-mix was frozen when I picked it up. I always kept it in the fridge. I was never told I could freeze it. :( My little vial only lasted about two months. :shock:
I used a lot for injections. After RT for cancer, it stopped working. :shock: I love my new 'bionic dick'! Absolutely no regrets! 8-) 8-)
Donnie
Implant AMS 700 CX, MS (18cm x 12mm with 5.5cm RTEs) on 10\4\16. 64 Dr. Edward Kata of Orlando. Awesome surgeon. Check out, 'DD Bryan. My implant journey, Wit and Wisdom, Stretching routine, Implant Pics, Natural Hang. Live in Ga.

rahod1

Postby rahod1 » Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:44 pm

Daddymac99 wrote:I've read several post from members that freeze preloaded syringes. I was wondering what you keep them in when you store them in your freezer. I've seen a few cases listed on Amazon and was wondering if anyone has any recommendations.
Thanks, David

There are cases to store them...I have several. All are basically the same design for storing insulin syringes. Having said that, I never used them because I find it just as easy to thaw the vile each time (takes 10 min)..load syringe and put it back in frig (vial back in freezer) several hours priors prior to injecting.

Return to “Injections”