What's in a name

Anything goes when it comes to ED.
Daveuk36

What's in a name

Postby Daveuk36 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:55 am

This site has really shown me the difference between the UK and, well probably everyone else. Here on this website we have ED, in the UK we are IMPOTENT. Thats right, look it up, we are powerless! Unable and incapable of taking action.

Wow, and i just thought i couldn't get a hard on.

So i made a mental list; it wasn't very long cos im not that bright, and the results were, well, staggering.

1. can i provide for my family? Yep
2. can i affect their lives in a positive way? yep
3. can i spend my time enriching my childrens lives? yep
4. do i have friends who i have helped, be it someting big or small? yep
5. can i change the way my body works and looks? yep
6. can i make my wife happy, can i love her and find ways to please her? yep

the list went on, then i started to forget what was at the top, but you get my point.

I am not powerless, im not incapable and im no less of a man because for some reason my dick has stopped working. So why give it such a demeaning name. We wonder why more guys cant or wont talk about it, yet it has a name that basically strips us of what we think of as being a man, the ability to take action.

Yet i read stories and talk to the men on here and some days im humbled by what they have been through, and they are still walking tall, and sharing and helping others. That in my mind is a man.
Dave, 37, married guy, Sleep problems and meds causing ED

rdpugh

Re: What's in a name

Postby rdpugh » Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:43 pm

I think this was probably part of the reason why in the US the name was changed to erectile dysfunciton instead of impotent. We were not powerless, just that something was causing the erectile response to be dysfunctional, meaning not work right. Impotent is the wrong word to describe ED.

franglais

Postby franglais » Sat Mar 27, 2010 10:14 am

x
Last edited by franglais on Sun May 22, 2011 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

skeener

Postby skeener » Sat Mar 27, 2010 10:34 am

Dave - A wonderful post indeed. You have got the right attitude.

I hate even the term ED - erectile dysfunction -- sounds like something is happening but whatever that is it is dysfunctional.

After my prostatectomy, I prefer to think that woody has gone into hibernation. I still encourage him every day for 15 min to 1/2 hour to wake up. He is starting to respond but so far he has not been usable.

Eventually when woody returns to life, he may still not be fully functional but certainly I won't say that he is dysfunctional.

Thanks again for your post. You wrote things so well!!!!

Skeener

PK Man

Postby PK Man » Sat Mar 27, 2010 11:38 am

You nailed it Dave.

Steve57

Postby Steve57 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 12:11 pm

Dave, I totally agree with your post! Society in general equates "being a man" and "masculinity" with a man's ability to get a hardon. Wrong! Like you, I have provided for my family, pay my taxes, help my neighbors, and am still a man. I am not powerless..I just have what is a private problem. I also hate the ED thing as I am not dysfunctional as the name implies. Great post!

barrystheman

Postby barrystheman » Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:53 am

Dave, you are such an inspiration to us guys who are using this web site.
I too have ED.
I too have a below the average size of penis.
But hey, I'm alive, I'm not battling with a life threatening illness.
I have a great wife and 2 great kids!
It's been a long journey in life for me to accept who I am as a man, but I am getting there!
Low self-esteem, low self-worth as a man are things that have haunted me for most of my life.
My attitude towards who "I am as a man has changed" and continues to change for the better as each day passes.
Barry.

Gingertom3

Postby Gingertom3 » Thu Sep 16, 2010 1:37 pm

Dave, that was very upbeat. You listed the really important things.Impotence indeed!
That epithet and 'erectile dysfunction' both need re-naming. Can we come up with something less demeaning and more upbeat?
I wonder.

Flavio

Postby Flavio » Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:03 am

Well said, Dave.

I hate the word 'impotence', it's insulting and inaccurate.
Age 40. Psychogenic ED for over 20 years. Current regimen: Udenafil 200 mg, oral phentolamine mesylate 40 mg, Seredyn.

Return to “General Discussion”