Denied Coverage by BCBS for Penile Prothesis

The final frontier. Deciding when, if and how.
Gator77

Denied Coverage by BCBS for Penile Prothesis

Postby Gator77 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:38 am

God Morning,

I am a new member and I am looking for some advice. I am 39 and have been dealing with ED since my late teens. I have tried injections, pills etc but they didn't get the job done. I finally decided it was time to get a penile prothesis. I scheduled surgery just to receive notice from my doctor that the policy my employer chose for their employees did not cover the procedure. It was denied for "exclusion of benefits". I am appealing with my employer but I want to be prepared if the appeal is denied. My question is how do I find a policy that will cover the implant since it has be declared a medical necessity? I have searched the web with no luck. I hope someone can help. Thanks!

Cigar56

Re: Denied Coverage by BCBS for Penile Prothesis

Postby Cigar56 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:49 am

Just a guess, but sounds like your doctor didn't make a very convincing argument for the surgery. I would suggest considering another doctor who previously has dealt with your insurance company.
I've tried everything -- pills, injections pumps -- and now I am at the final frontier.

ED2013

Postby ED2013 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 11:14 pm

I agree contact other docs. I highly recommend going with a top surgeon.

dirtman1993

Postby dirtman1993 » Sun Apr 16, 2017 2:12 pm

Try Kramer and talk with Connie at office. I have BCBS as my second and they had no problem picking up what medicare did not pay.
Implanted March 2nd by Dr. Kramer with AMS/LGX. Had a problem lower left (scar tissue) and he placed a larger (thicker) implant as you can here on the YouTube video. Got all back, ED over 10 years before Implant.

David_R

Postby David_R » Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:34 am

Sometimes a person from a supportive office somewhere will contact your insurance company on your behalf and inquire if they cover breast reconstruction for women (which is not necessary to stay alive but which can help improve life so much). If they do, this supportive person can point out how a penis prosthesis is in the same category for men: not necessary to stay alive but it helps improve life so much. Office persons like this know how to deal with insurance companies better than persons like ordinary you and me. Best wishes, guy.

ccrider

Postby ccrider » Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:11 pm

dirtman1993 wrote:Try Kramer and talk with Connie at office. I have BCBS as my second and they had no problem picking up what medicare did not pay.

I had Anthem/BCBS at the time of my procedure...they covered it 100%. You have to show that the implant is a documented medical necessity. In my case, the ED was caused by Type II diabetes. I agree w/ dirtman-call Connie at Dr. Kramer's office and discuss your insurance situation...she was extremely helpful to me.
...69 years old, married over 30 years, serious ED for around 10 years. AMS 700 LGX 21 cm +3 cm RTE implanted by Dr. Andrew Kramer on Dec 7, 2016.

dg_moore

Postby dg_moore » Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:40 pm

Not all policies issued by the same insurer are the same. As the OP pointed out, his employer chose a plan from BCBS that does not cover implants, so the fact that another BCBS plan does cover them is meaningless. However, an appeal should be possible, and an application that specifies medical necessity might succeed.
Dave, 80, Maryland - Implant (Titan) 2008 by Dr. Andrew Kramer (failed Sept 2020) - never used due to a stroke that, among other things, ended my sex life.
Life is not the way it's supposed to be, it's the way it is.

C coggin

Postby C coggin » Fri May 12, 2017 9:23 am

I was denied by BCBS 2 times before they finally approved me. They covered the procedure 100% I am now 11 days postop. just keep at it and dont give up

Freemase

Postby Freemase » Fri May 12, 2017 4:17 pm

I too am under BCBS throu8gh my wife's employer. Once me and my urologist settled on the procedure and date, it was let to my regular physician to not only clear me for surgry, but gt things approve by BCBS, or at least they should have. Procure done now, I am hoping I don't get a surprise bill! It's not like they can take back the pump

Hopefulandworried

Postby Hopefulandworried » Sat May 20, 2017 11:32 pm

My husband had the same issue with BCBS of Texas. They denied even with appeal. Had to switch to my insurance United health care. Good luck

Return to “Implants”