Magnesium and ED

Anything goes when it comes to ED.
ocitgo

Magnesium and ED

Postby ocitgo » Fri May 27, 2016 3:39 pm

http://www.newsmax.com/FastFeatures/mag ... id/731023/

Erectile dysfunction can seriously affect your sex life and relationships, but is it possible that magnesium supplements can help?

Maxwell says these drugs cannot treat the underlying causes of erectile dysfunction, and they often have many side effects including heartburn, headache, diarrhea, numbness in the arms and legs, seizures, chest pain, loss of color vision, and even heart attack and stroke.

Magnesium deficiency has been linked to erectile dysfunction, says James Rouse, N.D., a well-known naturopathic physician. Magnesium is needed for the metabolism of nitric oxide which helps get and maintain an erection.

Rouse recommends increasing consumption of green leafy vegetables like kale and spinach, nuts and seeds, peas, beans, and grains like brown rice and quinoa. He especially recommends pine nuts because they not only contain magnesium, but they have been linked to improved sexual desire and stamina.

If necessary, you can also take supplements to supply adequate magnesium.

The University of Maryland Medical Center recommends 400 milligrams of magnesium for men between the ages of 19 and 30. For men 31 years and older, a dosage of 420 milligrams is recommended.

However, if you are taking magnesium specifically for erectile dysfunction, you should discuss this with your physician to help determine the proper dosage.
ocitgo (Bob F), Bremerton, WA
Implanted 11/13/2017 AMS 700LGX 15 cm, leak, 3 cm rear tip
Implanted 06/17/2019 AMS 700LGX 18 cm, 1.5 cm rear tip

alibaba

Re: Magnesium and ED

Postby alibaba » Sat May 28, 2016 12:36 am

I've taken 400mg daily for a long long time as part of the regimen to fight osteoporosis. I did notice an improvement in my annual bone scans but never noticed anything down there.

To me, I think it sounds like a study funded by the pill companies looking for a specific outcome. They did the same thing on Selenium and Vitamin E. Both are no-longer recommended (1 study was ended early) due to an increase in prostate cancer.
LGX 21cm .Milam 01/13/16. Horror; both service and surgical outcome. hated infrapubic installation. Kramer revision 03/01/17. 22cm Titan +1.5cm extender. Those who think their opinion is the only one that matters are a danger to themselves and others.

BigEyes

Postby BigEyes » Mon Jun 20, 2016 1:19 pm

Alibaba -- re: Magnesium, Vitamin E and Selenium

Careful what you believe. Magnesium is a macro mineral, essential for human survival. Generally most folks that eat healthy diets with lots of green leafy veggies get enough, and supplementing with it will not cure ED. -- HOWEVER, a poor diet can cause a deficiency in magnesium, as well as other nutrients, and such a deficiency can exacerbate many issues, including erectile dysfunction.

Unfortunately, some media as well as medical sources and especially drug companies, are very down on supplements of any kind. As far as Vitamin E and Selenium, the issues you mention came out of the preliminary reports of the SELECT trial that ended several years ago. However, this trial:

1) used synthetic vitamin E (proven to be poorly absorbed by the human body), and
2) used only the alpha-tocopherol fraction of vitamin E, thus ignoring the benefits of the other 7 fractions of vitamin E, several of which have been subsequently proven to lower risk of some cancers, like prostate cancer.

Selenium is a micro mineral and is synergistic with many processes in the body. Humans need less than 100 mcg/day to function. However, like many other micro minerals (Iodine for example) -- get too little over a long period of time and deficiency symptoms as well as dysfunction start to show up.
Doctor of Naturopathy (N.D.) and Herbalist. ED and occasional Anorgasmia from perineal surgery for rectal cancer Dec. 2012

Johnboy55

Postby Johnboy55 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 3:20 pm

I had a blood test and came back with very low Magnesium and I'm taking 250mgs of Magnesium a day. And my Blood Sugar has been real high also and wonder if this makes ED worse?

Thanks.

Return to “General Discussion”