Introducing Lost Sheep, new member

This is the place to say hi to the board. Tell us something about yourself. If you're not quite ready to post for advice, that's fine.
Forum rules
For your security and privacy, FrankTalk will time you out after five minutes if it senses no activity. Posting on the forums may take longer than five minutes and the site does not sense your typing a post as activity. If you are submitting a post that might take a few minutes to write, please compose it in a word processing program and then cut and paste it into the discussion board. This will save a lot of frustration.
Thanks
Lost Sheep

Introducing Lost Sheep, new member

Postby Lost Sheep » Wed Jul 06, 2016 11:46 pm

I am a single heterosexual man in late 60s with increasing erectile dysfunction (which may have been coming on for the past 40 years) is causing me to consider a penile implant after the three oral medications have proven less than satisfactoy. Type II Diabetic and BMI 29 at present.

I am here to gather information so I can make informed decistions in concert with my doctos (Veteran's Administration) and to convince them to approve the procedure.

I appreciate that this forum exists.

I call myself Lost Sheep for a couple of reasons, one of which is that as a child I would wander off in departments stores, amusement parks and such. Still do, but I find my way back eventually. Then there is the religious implications.

Lost Sheep

p.s. Thanks to Paul for clearing up the registration/activation/login glitch
Lost Sheep
AMS LGX 18+3 Nov 6, 2017
Prostate Cancer 2023
READ OLD THREADS-ask better questions -better understand answers
Be part of your medical team
Document pre-op size-photos and written records
Pre-op VED therapy helps. Post-op is another matter

tomas1

Re: Introducing Lost Sheep, new member

Postby tomas1 » Thu Jul 07, 2016 2:53 pm

I think the next logical step is injecting.
I don't know what the VA thinks about that.
When I went there some years ago, they wanted me to go to pumping school.
85 years
Inject testosterone weekly.
Implant on 1/22/19 by Dr Avila.
Scrotal, hor. incision just over 1"
18cm AMS 700 CX, 3.5cm RTE 100cc res
Gleason 6 prostate cancer. Monitoring it for now.
Update: On my last biopsies the cancer wasn't found.

David_R

Postby David_R » Thu Jul 07, 2016 3:17 pm

Lost Sheep, my advice would be to try other less invasive methods before deciding on an implant. I have had great success with an implant, but it had to be my last choice as the insertion of the implant permanently destroys the natural erectile tissue so nothing else will ever work again. And welcome to FT, brother.

dg_moore

Postby dg_moore » Thu Jul 07, 2016 8:29 pm

David_R wrote:Lost Sheep, my advice would be to try other less invasive methods before deciding on an implant. I have had great success with an implant, but it had to be my last choice as the insertion of the implant permanently destroys the natural erectile tissue so nothing else will ever work again. And welcome to FT, brother.

I don't know about VA, but insurance often requires that the urologist certify that all other treatments have failed before they will approve implant surgery. So you need to go through pills, injections, and (gawd forbid) a VED and experience failure with all of them. Have you tried all of the alternatives already?
Dave, 80, Maryland - Implant (Titan) 2008 by Dr. Andrew Kramer (failed Sept 2020) - never used due to a stroke that, among other things, ended my sex life.
Life is not the way it's supposed to be, it's the way it is.

Lost Sheep

Postby Lost Sheep » Fri Jul 08, 2016 3:08 am

Tomas1, dg_moore, David_R,

Thanks for the inputs. I have tried all three formulations of pills, and read about the alpostradil suppository and injections, vacuum assistance and figured they had too low a satisfaction rate to be something I would be satisfied with. I had hopes the VA would let me skip past those hoops. The idea of surgery gives me pause, but the loss of my erectile function is pretty much a done deal (I get up, but cannot stay up), so I have little to lose and a lot to gain (full function)

The erection given by vacuum devices and the constriction ring are said to be "floppy" below the ring, lacking directional stability, and not at all comfortable. Also lacking in spontaneity. So I rejected that idea.

Alpostradil (injection) does not have the control over longevity of the erection. Being stuck with an erection that won't go down after its job is done is almost as bad as being stuck without.

So, I decided it was worth the operation to have a functional penis at long last. One that erects at the right times and behaves gentlemanly at others, and without external assists.

But that is one reason I am here. to refine my thought processes and correct my judgements when proved wrong.

Thanks, guys.

Lost Sheep
Lost Sheep
AMS LGX 18+3 Nov 6, 2017
Prostate Cancer 2023
READ OLD THREADS-ask better questions -better understand answers
Be part of your medical team
Document pre-op size-photos and written records
Pre-op VED therapy helps. Post-op is another matter

tomas1

Postby tomas1 » Fri Jul 08, 2016 12:49 pm

I actually have pretty good control of my erections with Tri-mix.
After ejaculating, I go down pretty quickly and it comes back to life a little later.
Without Ej, I stay hard for awhile after intercourse.
If the erection hangs around too long, I get up and it goes down.
I know we all have different results, but right now, this is really working fine for me (us).
I really think you should give it a try before crossing the final frontier.
85 years
Inject testosterone weekly.
Implant on 1/22/19 by Dr Avila.
Scrotal, hor. incision just over 1"
18cm AMS 700 CX, 3.5cm RTE 100cc res
Gleason 6 prostate cancer. Monitoring it for now.
Update: On my last biopsies the cancer wasn't found.

Return to “Introductions and Hellos”